Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 225, 1993. 320 HP PCM V8 with mastercraft headers, hoses, and gaskets. New 4 piece Boss Audio stereo.
Stupid Question

If we plan on running all winter, we shouldn't have to worry about winterizing right??

Just wondering, cause We're running all the way up into December, and then stopping for a couple of weeks, and starting back up in January, and I wasn't sure if we needed to winterize or not!!

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:11 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
it depends on where u are. where u keep boat. how cold it gets. not much work to winterize but alot of time and money to fix a craked block!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
To the extent that annual maintenance is a part of most people's winterization process, you need to do that. Also, since it freezes in Texas, you need to drain the water out of the engine (and heater/ballast if applicable) and spin your water pump over with the hoses removed at the low ends to makes sure there is nothing in there to freeze. While it might not get cold and stay cold enough to crack the block, I'd rather do it unnecessarily than not do it and wish I had afterwards. Draining takes a few minutes, and the boat can be recommissioned within a few minutes when you're ready to go to the lake.

I store my boat indoors within a few hours of your location and do a full winterization every year.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 10-31-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
Amen east tx skier!!!
1 gal of sweat is better than 1oz of blood

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 225, 1993. 320 HP PCM V8 with mastercraft headers, hoses, and gaskets. New 4 piece Boss Audio stereo.
haha, looks like we'll be winterizing in December then, if anything for maintenance's sake!!

She's not new, so I'd rather keep her up to date on maintenance than let anything slip!!

thanks guys!!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 MariStar 230 VRS 5.7 Indmar Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBuzz
If we plan on running all winter, we shouldn't have to worry about winterizing right??

Just wondering, cause We're running all the way up into December, and then stopping for a couple of weeks, and starting back up in January, and I wasn't sure if we needed to winterize or not!!

Thanks!
No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer!
I've only been thru one winter since I only got the boat in Aug. 2006.It had already had oil change etc. I simply plugged in 100 watt lights with reflectors on each side of the engine and it did fine. It hangs on straps in my boat slip. I've been trying to get maintenance records from MC dealer who is a little over 100 miles away. They promise to send each time but I never get them. I will sometimes this winter change fluids and impeller. Since it was serviced right when I bought it and I have not put 50 hrs on it I should be o.k. If I'm wrong I will no doubt hear about it from someone here!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer!

Bruce, I made that statement on here once, early in my TT life and lived to regret it. I would put on a helmet if I were you!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 MariStar 230 VRS 5.7 Indmar Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1
Bruce, I made that statement on here once, early in my TT life and lived to regret it. I would put on a helmet if I were you!
It is like my old signature: Some people don't know-and know they don't know. That's o.k. they can be taught.
Some people know and know they know. That's o.k. They can teach.

But, Some people don't know and don't know they don't know.(write your own ending)
Im not worried Harold I know you got my back!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
It is like my old signature: Some people don't know-and know they don't know. That's o.k. they can be taught.
Some people know and know they know. That's o.k. They can teach.

But, Some people don't know and don't know they don't know.(write your own ending)
Im not worried Harold I know you got my back!
Yea, I know enough to know, that I don't know enough, to know that I don't know, enough to know that I don't know enough, but I'll look out after ya, what ever that means!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 10-31-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
I'm not sure what all that knowing and not knowing meant, but if you are storing inside and it doesn't get below freezing, you are okay. Just please do all of your required maintenance, which for many only occurs in winter!!