Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Block Petcocks on a '92 205

I'm in the middle of winterizing my '92 Prostar 205 with the HO 351. I'm reading the manual and the checklist and both mention two petcocks. One on each side of the block. It seems mine only has one one the left side.

Is this normal? Did I miss it? Where's the other one?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
I'm in the middle of winterizing my '92 Prostar 205 with the HO 351. I'm reading the manual and the checklist and both mention two petcocks. One on each side of the block. It seems mine only has one one the left side.

Is this normal? Did I miss it? Where's the other one?
There should be one on either side. Later enginse have a knock sensor in the one on the drivers side but in '92 you whould have two petcocks. the one on the right is closer to the front of the block.

By the way nice looking boat. Is the black original gel? That is the first all black 205 I have ever seen. Also the first 205 I have seen with a Safe-T-Top.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 10-31-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:12 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Here's the location.
Attached Images

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
By the way nice looking boat. Is the black original gel? That is the first all black 205 I have ever seen. Also the first 205 I have seen with a Safe-T-Top.
Thanks! I guess I was just looking at the rear of the block. It was getting dark.

Yes, the black is the original gel. The teal and the gray are right in the gelcoat as well. I think I got pretty lucky. I have yet to see another all black one in a 205 or even a 190, let alone in this condition of this vintage ...and you wouldn't believe what I got it for!

I almost hate to take the Safe-T-top off, but I've got a Monster Tower to put on as a winter project.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley

I almost hate to take the Safe-T-top off, but I've got a Monster Tower to put on as a winter project.
Boooooo!!!!!

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
MC Fanatic

LOL! I know. But if my wife bangs her head on it one more time I might lose my spotter.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
great looking boat. Does the safe T top look like it is mounted a little back of the pylon?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man
great looking boat. Does the safe T top look like it is mounted a little back of the pylon?
Thanks. Yes, it's a bit back. Unfortunately because of my low garage I need to fold down the tower all the way, which the wing would not permit.

It's all good though. Being in the custom sign business, I can make up an aluminum plate to cover the holes. I plan to router the Mastercraft logo into it, ound the edges and powdercoat it black. It will look like it came with the boat and work as a step to keep people from stepping on the fiberglass.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Okay, I figured it out. that spot where the petcock is supposed to be is where the hot water for my shower comes out.

Also, my tranny cooler (Powerslot) seems to be a little different. I have two oil lines coming off the tranny to a cooler around my fresh water intake. There are no water hoses to the tranny, yet, the winterization lists that there's a line to the bottom of the tranny.

Is there something else I should be looking for?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I didn't have a power slot, but that transmission cooler setup sounds like mine. I just pulled the two raw water hoses (one to intake; one to water pump and let whatever water was in the cooler and hoses drain. The two smaller hoses that go to the transmission are left alone.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.