Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 w/ LTR
CP - sorry to hear having probs again. I'll shed a little light on the front ABS sensors. In a nut shell, corrosion attacks the housing that holds the sensors, over time, the corrosion may cause the sensor to be pushed out of position, thus causing false or interuppted ABS signal/readings. Your two front ABS sensors are located on top of the hub/wheel bearing, one left side and one right. When you pull off the wheel you will see a wire coming down along the knuckle (only wire in this area), the wire will lead you to the sensor. Remove the sensor and clean out the corrosion from the housing then apply a small amount of grease, try not to get any grease on the tip of the sensor. Re-install the sensor. I have the same issue on my 98', everytime I replace the brakes I clean the sensors, shouldn't have to, but do it anyway since I'm in there. This "MAY" be your problem, if the problem persists then there is an entirely different diagnostic list to follow. Does the ABS light on the dash stay on all the time, or are you just getting occasional ABS activiation? I'll help with what I can.

Thanks -
MIMC
Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Thanks for the reply MIMC. The light doesn't come on. I think it does at start-up but it is not on all the time. I only get an ABS activation below 5 mph, like when getting ready to pull out of the driveway or creeping up at a light. I also get ABS activation when it is necessary, like when on snow or ice. It works when it is supposed to and a little more than occasionally at speeds below 5 mph.

Last time it did this it was the sensor recall (clean sensors). After they were cleaned it never did it until this winter. I will check this out and then just make cleaning the sensors an annual event. Sounds like they are pretty easy to get to from your description. I'll see if I can get to them in the next week or so and if I have problems I'll probably try to pick your brain again.

Thanks again for the reply.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I had a similar problem on my '04 Tahoe, only my brakes did not lock up, but my ABS would come on when I was below 5 mph coming to a stop. Luckily the problem happened as the tech was pulling my car onto the lift. I looked back through my paperwork and they replaced the driver's side front ABS Sensor and cleaned the other 3. I have not had a problem since.

I will tell you one thing, though. This is the last GM product I will own... they seem to make these vehicles fall apart on their 75k mile birthday!!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 w/ LTR
CP - Understand that it is absolutely normal to have ONE ABS activiation when you first move the vehicle after a key cycle (I.E - in the moring, pulling out of the garage, driveway, etc). The ABS will do a self check under 8 mph after every key cycle, after that the ABS should not have an event unless it is warranted (ice, etc). It is also normal for the ABS light on the dash to come on for a few seconds upon start up, but should go off after a few seconds. It's a good sign your light does not stay on, just another indication you have corrosion in the sensor retainer. If you have issues don't hesitate to "pick my brain"!

Sodar - As a GM employee it does concern me that you are having such problems with your Tahoe, to the point where you can honestly say it will be the last GM product you will own. If you don't mind me asking, what problems are you having or have you had in the past that has turned you away from GM? Just curious.

Thanks -
MIMC
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post

I will tell you one thing, though. This is the last GM product I will own... they seem to make these vehicles fall apart on their 75k mile birthday!!
Man, that makes me feel good, I've got a little over 15k before the '88 Astro Van starts coming unglued!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMC View Post
Sodar - As a GM employee it does concern me that you are having such problems with your Tahoe, to the point where you can honestly say it will be the last GM product you will own. If you don't mind me asking, what problems are you having or have you had in the past that has turned you away from GM? Just curious.

Thanks -
MIMC
I have had had to replace a transmission.
I have had a front wheel hub seize.
I have piston slap that makes my engine sound like a freaking diesel truck.
I have had my gauge cluster replaced 2 times (1 failed, 1 made horrible clicking/groaning noise).
My intermediate steering shaft has been done 3 times (repacked 2 times and replaced with the "new" design 1).
My rear axle seal burst, spewing crap all over the boat, my wheels and my wheelwell.
My interior has rattles that make it sound like my vehicle has been offroaded and driven on a farm for its whole life. It is truly ridiculous.

I will add to the list as it comes to me.

I was so excited to get my Tahoe and I have pampered it for 69k miles, but I find myself so excited to be getting into something else.

Just in the wheel hub and transmission repalcement, I covered my $1200 extended warranty. I am very glad I purchased it!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
I have had had to replace a transmission.
I have had a front wheel hub seize.
I have piston slap that makes my engine sound like a freaking diesel truck.
I have had my gauge cluster replaced 2 times (1 failed, 1 made horrible clicking/groaning noise).
My intermediate steering shaft has been done 3 times (repacked 2 times and replaced with the "new" design 1).
My rear axle seal burst, spewing crap all over the boat, my wheels and my wheelwell.
My interior has rattles that make it sound like my vehicle has been offroaded and driven on a farm for its whole life. It is truly ridiculous.

I will add to the list as it comes to me.

I was so excited to get my Tahoe and I have pampered it for 69k miles, but I find myself so excited to be getting into something else.

Just in the wheel hub and transmission repalcement, I covered my $1200 extended warranty. I am very glad I purchased it!

Is this the tahoe in "great shape" on craigslist?

'91 prostar 190
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
Is this the tahoe in "great shape" on craigslist?
It is in great shape. Everything has been replaced and the car has a monthly check-up when it is in the dealership for repairs!

Seriously though, everything on the vehicle is 100% perfect. I spent $600 to dynomat the whole cab (quiet and rattle free), all the issues have been corrected and it looks damn good. I have no reservations about selling it and calling it perfect condition. I baby and pamper my stuff and this Tahoe is no exception.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
It is in great shape. Everything has been replaced and the car has a monthly check-up when it is in the dealership for repairs!

Seriously though, everything on the vehicle is 100% perfect. I spent $600 to dynomat the whole cab (quiet and rattle free), all the issues have been corrected and it looks damn good. I have no reservations about selling it and calling it perfect condition. I baby and pamper my stuff and this Tahoe is no exception.
Does that dynomat stuff work pretty well? I've thought about putting it in my Dodge diesel to quiet engine noise and tire noise down a little.

'91 prostar 190
Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
Does that dynomat stuff work pretty well? I've thought about putting it in my Dodge diesel to quiet engine noise and tire noise down a little.
I actually did not use dynamat, (Dynamat is just the name brand everyone knows) I used SecondSkin Damplifier Pro(better than Dynamat). It works great and really cut down on the road noise and the rattles. I noticed the biggest difference in the doors and roof.