Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-10-2005, 09:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Exhaust manifold

what are the holes on the side of the exhaust manifold for?

Are they freeze plugs?

They have what looks like a quarter sized disc in them?

What happens if one of these discs falls out? How do you reinstall it? Can it be reinstalled?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1998, LT1, powerslot
Farmer,
Was this a trick question? It reminds me of the movie Risky Business where Rebecca tells Tom, “Yes, No…Maybe. But, if it had been you asking her this question I am sure she would have said, “Yes, yes…yes.”
Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Farmer,
Was this a trick question? It reminds me of the movie Risky Business where Rebecca tells Tom, “Yes, No…Maybe. But, if it had been you asking her this question I am sure she would have said, “Yes, yes…yes.”
Just curious, the 98 is securly parked on the beach FMC (fully mission capable) just waiting on the WX to cooperate
Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
Just for the record I don't believe they are 'freeze plugs' but instead are 'casting plugs'. The holes in the casting are put there as a necessary part of the engine casting process and is the location where the sand from the sand casting is flushed out. They do often in fact save people from and expensive engine replacement because they will blow out in some cases when water freezes but that is not their intended purpose I don't think.

If you do a google on "freeze plug sand casting" you will find several references to this. There are probably some engineers on the board that have spent some time in a foundry (at least in school) that can describe the process.

So I think the answers are:

1: The holes are to let the sand out after the manifolds are cast in the foundry,

2: No they are not freeze plugs,

3: Probably just get new plugs and bang them in with a hammer.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Just for the record I don't believe they are 'freeze plugs' but instead are 'casting plugs'. The holes in the casting are put there as a necessary part of the engine casting process and is the location where the sand from the sand casting is flushed out. They do often in fact save people from and expensive engine replacement because they will blow out in some cases when water freezes but that is not their intended purpose I don't think.

If you do a google on "freeze plug sand casting" you will find several references to this. There are probably some engineers on the board that have spent some time in a foundry (at least in school) that can describe the process.

1: The holes are to let the sand out after the manifolds are cast in the foundry,

Thank you sir!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1998, LT1, powerslot
Yeah, don’t know why I couldn’t remember
Lance’s answer is much better, but Farmer…can’t you just hear Rebecca telling you that right now???

Last edited by Professor; 03-11-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 PS190 285HP Ford 351, Holley 4160
Send a message via AIM to dchatagnon Send a message via MSN to dchatagnon
I have removed my exhaust manifold and I want to clean the inside before to repaint them and put it back.
What do you suggest?

thanks.
Damien
Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 prostar 190
Quote:

Lance, that was a very informative answer. I was always told they were freeze plugs also.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
Quote:

You got half of it. The plugs are where the supports are for supporting the sand cores during the casting process. It is hard to suspend a core in the middle of the die, gravity is funny that way. The secondary benefit is it helps with removal of the sand after casting.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchatagnon
I have removed my exhaust manifold and I want to clean the inside before to repaint them and put it back.
What do you suggest?

thanks.
Damien

I just had my aluminum ETX manifolds plastic bead blasted to remove all the paint. If you are talking about removing the paint/rust from cast iron manifolds so you can repaint them I would use a glass bead blast or aluminum oxide blast. Make sure you protect the threads and gasket surfaces though. If you are talking about trying to remove carbon and rust from the inside I wouldn't waist my time.

Andyg