Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-07-2007, 05:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 209
Manifold Drain Plugs

Has anyone had trouble removing the manifold drain plugs? I havve done everything else to winterize my boat but cannot get them out. The plugs are a square fitting but they are smaller than a 3/8" driver and larger than a 1/4". I can't seem to find such a tool. Is this normal?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Don't think its normal, mine are replacement from Skidim and are 1/2" drive as were the originals. Even so, it was not possible to get mine out at first because of access problems and they had never been out (indoor storage previous owner). Unless you are storing in a warm area, they must come out, I used a small pipe wrench and cheater bar, there was enough of the plug exposed to grab on to. Get new ones, wrap with teflon tape before insertion next spring.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Try some PB blaster. I use channel locks to get them off. I wrap them in teflon tape when I reinstall, which seemed to make it easier the next time around.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
I was having trouble also last season with the manifold plugs. Someone (dont remember who, possibly JimN) suggested to me that I install brass fittings that allow a rubber hose to be connected between the two manifolds. That way, when it is time to drain, I simply remove hose clamps. Much easier...

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 10-09-2007, 08:20 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I never removed mine until 2 years ago after reading you should on this board and I had no problem getting them out.
Theye were in for 22 years and other than flushing out a little rust, everything was fine.
Now part of my yearly winterization routine.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I believe those are 3/4 NPT fittings. MasterCraft, in their current boats, uses a 3/4 inch hose that's looped under the engine from manifold to manifold. That hose is broken in the middle and has a 3/4 garden-hose type fitting (male and female) in the middle. Draining the manifold is then as simple as unscrewing the garden hose fitting and letting both halves drain.

Other option is to replace each plug with a petcock fitting...SkiDim sells 'em...

Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I believe those are 3/4 NPT fittings. MasterCraft, in their current boats, uses a 3/4 inch hose that's looped under the engine from manifold to manifold. That hose is broken in the middle and has a 3/4 garden-hose type fitting (male and female) in the middle. Draining the manifold is then as simple as unscrewing the garden hose fitting and letting both halves drain.

Other option is to replace each plug with a petcock fitting...

Correct. They are 3/4 NPT (the block is 1/4" NPT).

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 10-09-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
my concern with the drain pictured above is it leaves some water in the manifold because the hole is smaller than the whole plug
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 AM
MC Hero

I agree. I would got with plugs all the way around and ditch the petcocks and quick disconnects. I have seen my father in law's petcocks get clogged pretty easily.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
I have had trouble in the past. They are tough to remove sometimes, but now I use a little anti-sieze on them and haven't had near the trouble.