Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Strut Bearings ?????????

When Installing my new acme prop form the group buy ( thanks again Brian )
I noticed I have some play in the shaft thru the strut.
I read in my Discount Inboard Marine that the strut bearings should be changed every 300 hours, More frequently in silty or sandy water.
My boat has about 800 hours on it. I have noticed that when I place the boat in reverse, and give it some gas, I have a vibration. Just thought it was normal, but if the bearing is bad, it could cause this I am sure.
Has anyone changed the strut bearings on your boat?
Does anyone know if the shaft has to be removed.
Anyone know what size. I have a one inch shaft.
http://skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1119

P.S. hope to try the new prop today....

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.

Last edited by rem_pss308; 03-09-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Glad you got your prop and are happy.

I just had my strut bushing replaced for the first time with 470ish hours. The last two years I have run the boat exclusively in the club pond that is very silty. Mine just had a very little bit of play so I figured it was time to change. Sounds like you should replace since they are pretty loose. Even a small bit of vibration can cause transmission damage. Better safe than sorry.

I decided to have my mechanic do it since it requires removing the shaft completely and then removing the bushings from the strut with a slide hammer or by other improvised means. Decied it wasn't worth my time.

As for size just call SkiDIM and they will get you the right ones mine were 1 1/4" outside and 1" inside. Yours will be 1" inside but the outside diameter varied by year, model etc.

Last edited by BrianM; 03-09-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 19 skier, 302 4bbl
I just put new ones in mine this winter. I got them from Elbert's. Just gave them the year and model of boat. They knew just what I needed. Had to take strut off boat since I didn't have the proper puller. I used an old piece of 3/4" round bar and punched them out. Had to make sure the steel had a good square edge, because there's not much bushing there to get a hold of. And they come out hard. You do have to take the prop shaft out, so in my case I had to lift the motor as well. The coupling doesn't come off the shaft (at least not easily). Hope this helps a bit.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotia Skier
I just put new ones in mine this winter. I got them from Elbert's. Just gave them the year and model of boat. They knew just what I needed. Had to take strut off boat since I didn't have the proper puller. I used an old piece of 3/4" round bar and punched them out. Had to make sure the steel had a good square edge, because there's not much bushing there to get a hold of. And they come out hard. You do have to take the prop shaft out, so in my case I had to lift the motor as well. The coupling doesn't come off the shaft (at least not easily). Hope this helps a bit.
You should have had enough room to slide the shave out past your rudder. I replaced mine a couple years ago & didn't have to touch the motor.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Strut Bearing

My two cents worth is to let a mechanic do it. After reinstalling everything, the shaft and engine alignment need to meet specs. I think they use a laser to align them. It's not something I would want to attempt.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
The prop shaft coupler must be within .003 of an inch aligned. All you need is a set of wrenches and a feeler guage. I don't think anyone uses lasers for this as the feelers would be more accurate. But I could be wrong.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.