Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Jeffory

Wink Winterization for 94 205 in heated garage

I have a 94 205 that will be stored in a heated garage. I will add fuel stabilizer (sea foam or stabil) and change the oil.
Is there anything else that I should do to the boat?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs
Yes, drain the water out of the block. What happens if the heat goes out?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin
Yes, drain the water out of the block. What happens if the heat goes out?

Footin is right ,always at least drain the water...
Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
If you have a heater, drain the water from that as well. Few things are worse than a split heater core with that water all over your carpet.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Jeffory

Thank you for the suggestions. Where do you drain the water from the block?
Should I start it up briefly after I take it out of the water to blow out the water or is that a no-no?

Jeff
Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
MC Master Poster

There are tons of threads and posts about winterizing here- do a search.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:03 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Starting it up in the driveway won't help much, and will likely fry the impeller. Page 51 of your owner's manual details winterizing procedures.

If you live in an area where temps get below freezing, you should definitely drain the block and exhaust manifolds. If you have a heater, that too should be drained and the lines blown out with air or pumped full of RV antifreeze. You should change the oil and filter, change the transmission oil, fog the engine, and most here would recommend that you drain the raw water pump and pull the impeller. You could re-use that impeller if it's intact, but for $30 a new one is a good investment, putting it in in the spring. A little lube for the starter gear, and the boat should be safe for midwest winter temps.

Don't forget to mouse-proof. Tape the exhaust flaps down and put a bunch of D-Con packages all around. According to legend, Bounce dryer sheets will repel mice, but that concept is of debatable validity. I do it anyway. If you're going to cover the boat, consider some sort of mildew-preventing technology. I'm a big fan of heater-fans like this. You can leave the battery in the boat, but hook it up to a float charger all winter.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffory
I have a 94 205 that will be stored in a heated garage. I will add fuel stabilizer (sea foam or stabil) and change the oil.
Is there anything else that I should do to the boat?

Thanks,
Jeff
http://batterytender.com/product_inf...5a20886441c1e8

You can get these cheaper at a distributor. This is the corporate site with MSRP. I found them at $45 each. If your battery isn't working properly, you're going nowhere. Especially if it dies on the water next spring.

The Battery Tender and the electronic ignition (conversion kit) are the two best investments in my boat bay.

I run mine in the driveway with a hose feeding water in the tranny cooler. Run it as long as you like. Once it's warm and the theromstat is open, I remove the hose, and add about 2 gal of 50/50 antifreeze / coolant solution in the same opening. You'll see the (pink) color of the solution coming out the exhaust. Done deal.

See ya'll another time.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-23-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty
http://batterytender.com/product_inf...5a20886441c1e8

You can get these cheaper at a distributor. This is the corporate site with MSRP. I found them at $45 each. If your battery isn't working properly, you're going nowhere. Especially if it dies on the water next spring.

The Battery Tender and the electronic ignition (conversion kit) are the two best investments in my boat bay.

I totally agree! The battery tender is the best thing for batteries I've even see or used! Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Speed Shops., Motorcycle Shops, among others carry them for around $49.95 + tax, but I got mine from Eckler Corvette for $50 when a friend bought 3 for his toys.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:20 PM
MC Master Poster

"Once it's warm and the theromstat is open, I remove the hose, and add about 2 gal of 50/50 antifreeze / coolant solution in the same opening. You'll see the (pink) color of the solution coming out the exhaust. Done deal."

You know that the thermostat closes as soon as the cold RV juice hits it, right? Do you pull one of the block plugs to make sure that what's in the motor is pink? I wouldn't stop at 2 gallons and usually drain the block before introducing the anti-freeze. That way, I know it's going to be pink when I check it. RV juice is what, $2 a gallon? If it was mine, I would use 3-5 gallons. 50/50? Is the pink RV juice being diluted before putting it in the motor? Sorry, but if it is, that's just being cheap. Compared with cracking a motor or manifold, a few gallons of anti-freeze is good insurance.