Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-03-2005, 03:07 PM
86PowerSlot190MC

Bumper Rails

Dose any one know where I could get new bump rails similar to the ones installed on an 86 Mastercraft?? I have a leak on the driver side up front and they have a few knocks, so I was thinking about replacing them.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
I'm not sure what the 86 looks like but on the 87 it is an aluminum rail and a rubber insert. I had a leak that was caused by deteriorating caulking on the under side of the rail where the aluminum meets the fiberglass. If this is your problem then replacing the rubber insert probably won't do anything. You might be able to just re-caulk.

On mine the rail was loose on the drivers side so I drilled out the pop-rivets and replaced them to tighten the rail... then recaulk... problem solved.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
86PowerSlot190MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
I'm not sure what the 86 looks like but on the 87 it is an aluminum rail and a rubber insert. I had a leak that was caused by deteriorating caulking on the under side of the rail where the aluminum meets the fiberglass. If this is your problem then replacing the rubber insert probably won't do anything. You might be able to just re-caulk.

On mine the rail was loose on the drivers side so I drilled out the pop-rivets and replaced them to tighten the rail... then recaulk... problem solved.
It sounds like I have similar bump rails. I was thinking about replacing the hold thing, aluminum and the rubber insert. Teaching people how to dock has taken its toll on the aluminum/rubber.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 86 Skier Promo ,Powerslot,351
I have an 86. I replaced the rubber on mine 2 years ago. West Marine had an exact replacment for both the rubber and aluminum. If the aluminum isn't too bad you can pull out the rubber replace any loose pop rivets, recaulk and just replace the rubber. I was able to smooth out most of the dings in the aluminum using a file, diamond hone and some compound. They aren't perfect but you have to look pretty close to see where they were fixed. If the rail is loose from hitting the dock, your leak might be comming from loose rivets.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Check this site out:

They have a selection guide that covers almost every type of Mastercraft:

http://www.tacomarine.com/
Old 03-08-2005, 03:31 PM
TT Regular

I'm in the process of replacing mine on my '85. I removed the existing rubber insert and aluminum rail. I ordered a taco replacement which is a rigid vinyl rail with rubber insert. It only comes in 20ft lengths so I'll have plenty extra - I would offer to sell you some of the extra for a good price but they have just discontinued what I ordered (didn't find out until after part of the order arrived). They did have some left at the factory, but don't know if you can still get it. They do have a new rail to replace what I bought that's a little differnt, but i don't know how different it is. If you go to the tacomarine.com website, you can view what they have to offer. I'm reattaching mine with screws as the directions say; it gives a real good fit. You have to heat up the rail to go around corners, but it took less than an hour to put on the first 20 foot piece around the nose of the boat; including drilling all new holes and putting the silicone on each screw. I also resealed the deck to hull joint and plan on putting another bead of sealant on the underside of the rub rail once it's completely intstalled. The new (all black) rub rail and insert looks great so far. I would highly recommend it.

If you need any more info....let me know.