Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-22-2004, 09:10 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Teak Platform

Doug,

Can you post on here what you do to your teak deck. That thing looks awesome in the photo. I need to refinish mine. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:50 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Brian, I think part of the reason it looks so good is that it's still wet from the lake in that picture. I just redid it again because it was looking ragged and I installed a teak transom saver last weekend.

What you're looking at is just Starbrite 3 step with two coats of oil.

When I redid it this last time, I took the power sander to it, and followed with some teak oil I picked up at home depot. The results were good, but I did the same thing with my father-in-law's deck a few weeks ago, used regular old starbrite, and it looks better (a richer brown).

The process is (as adapted from some great advice from George M,

1. Power sand. Then hand sand using a finer grit each time (I think he said he went up to 400).
2. Apply teak oil with sponge or old t-shirt, and wipe off excess.
3. I used a fine steel wool between coats.
4. I think I put 5 or six coats on the top, and 2 on the bottom this last time.

Next time, I'll do more than power sand, and use starbrite or this stuff I heard about recently called "Teakguard" that's supposed to last a long time.

Bear in mind that I use my platform. I stand on it while putting on my ski and jump off. So it gets worn during the year.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
I did the same thing on my paltform and it turned out great. The only problem I noticed is that it is very slippery. Not a big deal, just have to be careful and warn people.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:56 AM
MC Hero

I've never had a problem with it being slippery. I forgot to add that I let it sit in the sun and dry between coats, and usually for 48 hours after the final coat.

Thanks to George M for the extra tips.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
blannan

Star Bright

I find that Star Bright works great. Just make sure you get the whole kit. It's well worth it!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
MC Hero

Actually, I got better results by skipping steps one and two, sanding instead, and then using multiple coats of oil. Of course, I haven't tried sanding and using 3 step yet. Probably works pretty great.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 07-22-2004, 01:07 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Thanks Doug, I'll give it a try.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Per Doug's note a few weeks back... I picked up a "teakguard" Kit.
Comes with a cleaner, brass wool (so it doesn't shaving of steel to rust) and the "teak guard". $30 for the whole kit included shipping. Plan on trying it this weekend. I will keep all informed. Cheers.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:12 PM
MC Master Poster

If you have a hard time finding brass wool, you can get a plastic handled, brass bristled brush about 2-3" wide. Easier on the hands and easier to get in between the slats.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:13 PM
MC Hero

Let us know how it looks (with pictures hopefully). If it's good, I may pick some of that stuff up for next year.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club