Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 09-02-2007, 05:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X2, 2008, 350
Looking at a new Truck is a Chevy 2500HD diesel really needed

We are looking to buy a new truck to pull the new upcoming boat (2008 x2). Here are the two were currently looking at:
1.) Chevy 1500z71 4x4
2.) Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel

We are going to be towing it (boat) around 3 times a week probably 15 to 20 minutes each way to different lakes. Will be using it as a daily vehicle 25miles one way to work. Will not be using it really for anything else tow wise that will be any heavier. My question is this is the 2500HD overkill? What would you guys do? I realize its night and day between the two but just curious since this will be our first truck. Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 05:51 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
What boat will you be pulling? Love my 2500 duramax, I can't believe I'm saying this but It sounds like unless its an X80 or X45 the half ton would do fine for such short tows. The 2500 Duramax is a towing beast with the Allison transmission and will accelerate up steep grades with 6,000 lbs in tow with no problem. I use mine for work so its easy for me to justify the extra expense for the truck.

The 1500 will be much more like a "car" ride and may fit your family needs better.

Good luck, and disregard anything the Ford guy's say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 MasterCraft ProStar 205
I love my 2500 duramax. It may be overkill, but if you ever need it, you'll have it. Case in point, When we bought ours, we went for the Duramax "just in case". We used to have a Chevy 1500, but when getting loads of rock, or other various tasks, the thing was popping a wheelie and bogged down(not that much, but it was noticable). Now with the 2500 and the duramax, I am never "bogged" down. Oh yeah, and I get a lot better mileage than I got with the gas 1/2 ton. just my 2 cents...
Attached Images

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/s...00&ppuser=3253
Old 09-02-2007, 06:07 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123src
I love my 2500 duramax. It may be overkill, but if you ever need it, you'll have it. Case in point, When we bought ours, we went for the Duramax "just in case". We used to have a Chevy 1500, but when getting loads of rock, or other various tasks, the thing was popping a wheelie and bogged down(not that much, but it was noticable). Now with the 2500 and the duramax, I am never "bogged" down. Oh yeah, and I get a lot better mileage than I got with the gas 1/2 ton. just my 2 cents...

And a damn good looking set-up there to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:12 PM
MC Fanatic

123src What were you seeing for gas mileage with your 1500 vs 2500? I have a friend telling me to get the desiel, do they really last longer than gas engines?
TX- I will be pulling a 2008 X2 total weight of boat and trailer 4500# not including gas, etc
Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 07:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneandOnly
123src What were you seeing for gas mileage with your 1500 vs 2500? I have a friend telling me to get the desiel, do they really last longer than gas engines?
TX- I will be pulling a 2008 X2 total weight of boat and trailer 4500# not including gas, etc
Thanks
Don't be fooled by the light duty diesels. I am on my third Duramax. Good mileage is a myth. What engine you get under the hood is another issue of considerations.

I presume you'll be lookiing at a 07 or 08 model. The New body 07s have the LMM engine. It's loaded with emmission controls and has some issues of it's own, but no serious showstoppers, other than limits on turning one up. The 07 classic body style engines have the LBZ engine, the best of all of the Duramax engines. As for any model with a LB7 engine, walk away. Not to insult anyone's LB7, but they have inherent problems that have arisen or awaiting to happen.

I just bought a 07 with the LBZ. It works well with the 365 HP and torque, but do not be fooled with the diesle misconceptions. If you want a bulletproof diesel, you'll need to go to the big OTR trucks.

Find a forum and read up. You can start here if you like. If it's not here, you don't need to know.
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/

As for your question with the 4500 lbs. I'd prefer a 2500 for the sake of having all you'll need for accommodations, up to a certain point. The towing and transmission along with braking capacity on the 2500 is important to me. A boat can and will push a 1500. Do not expect miracles from any of the light duty pickup diesels. They all are limited in one way or another. I have worked a Duramax to it's capacity wanting more. Best mileage you'll get is 14 - 15 at best (empty). Towing you'll get 10 - 12 at best.

Mods are OK and folks swear by them. I'd not touch one until out of warranty, then you'll still see error codes on one thing or another.

I drive mine like I stole it so my mileage is a bit less. My 07 is showing 13.9 mpg avg on the information center.

As for longevity, they will go for a while, but that too is engine type dependant. And I'll say one more thing then hush my mouth. The longevity and service of these Duramaxs depend on strict maintenance and service. It gets to be expensive too. I mean every single thing should be serviced on the recommended schedule.

Anyhooooo.. read up on the diesel page if you please and decide for yErself.

Point of your topic, I vote 2500. You can find one now at or around 39 - 43k in a crew cab. That is a must for me. Don't sweat the Bose stereo. It's crapola. I'd not order one with it but put an entire new aftermarket in mine. That too is another deal that is not academic as once was, due to the computer setup.

Engines
Years 01 - 04 - LB7 300 HP / 525 ft-lbs torque
04.5 - 05 - LLY 310 / 610
06 - 07 classic - LBZ 360 - 650
07.5 - 08 - LMM 365 - 650

Best one yet is the LBZ.

2009 will host a 4.5L diesel for the half tons. Give that two additional production years to iron out the bugs.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-02-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:28 PM
MC Fanatic

We were looking to only spend around 20-25k so that is of course going to put us in the used trucks.

What years are the best, from problems if applicable?

Sport- I like it when ppl run their mouths more info is always appreciated!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
We were looking to only spend around 20-25k so that is of course going to put us in the used trucks.

What years are the best, from problems if applicable?

Sport- I like it when ppl run their mouths more info is always appreciated!
You have hit paydirt with my big ol' mouth.

Like I said above, leave the LB7s alone. You'll have fuel injector problems sooner than later, I don't care what any expert or salesman tells you. Been there three times on one truck and had the same LB7 engine in the first two Duramaxs...

I traded a 01 at 42K miles, and a 02 at 98k miles just to rid myself of headaches.

The LLY is basically the LB7 with much better fuel injectors and rail system.

The LBZ is very sweet.

The LLM is still too new for me to know other than reading.

$25k should get you a 05 with an LLY engine, if you are patient and diligent on the deal. A 02 - 03 trades out for about 16 - 18k and goes to market for about 22k, so like I said, if you can find a 04 or 05 it will have the LLY diesel, you'll do well. You'll get your money out of a good used machine. They'll see 200K miles with service before any real need for attention other than batteries. For that just go Optima batteries. Plural as in, two for the diesel engine. Nothing about these things is cheap . It's another hole in the water hobby...

If at all possible, obtain service records, or find a GM / Chevy service guy to run the VIN through the computer. They can pull any service records.

Also check the gear. I do not recommend the 4.10:1 gear. Look for a 3.73:1 in my opinion.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-02-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks
WOW!!! I am afraid to answer after reading Sporty's post. I went from an early 90's 1500 gas getting about 10 mpg on a good day. In my 2005 2500, I am getting, according to the computer, 15-16 mpg around town, driving without consideration for mileage. On the freeway, closer to 19mpg (55mph, no boat) That being said, the computer is off due to the fact I have 36" tires on my truck. I guess the computer cannot accout for tires this large. It seems the actual MPG would be higher if the computer could account for correct tire size. (i could be wrong) I must also say that I have added "the usual" diesel mods. The Edge computer controller system and cat back exhaust, not to mention all the stereo and ride mods (lift, shocks, air bags, sway bar) I am not AT ALL a very knowledgable person on GM motors, performance, Mods, MPG, or anything else technical. I can only speak about what I experience. I am much happier with the power of the Duramax. I have a Camper and boat that I tow over Mt. Hood with the Cruise control set at 55. I am not sure which L?? I have, but I have not had any issues with the truck to this point. It seems from Sporty's post that I have the LLY... I guess that is OK.
As for how long they last, I can not help. I have heard that they last longer also. I can tell you that they cost a heck of a lot more than gas motors.

The argument at times is that the cost of buying the Diesel will pay for itself over time due to the fact they last longer and get better mileage than gas. Don't fall for this one. In my experience, Diesel has been much more expensive than gasoline at the pumps. If you go for the diesel, get it for the POWER. It is there!

Here is a pic of the camper and boat ( a lot of weight).... Remember... 55 on the cruise control over the mountain.... I love it!
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty
You have hit paydirt with my big ol' mouth.

Like I said above, leave the LB7s alone. You'll have fuel injector problems sooner than later, I don't care what any expert or salesman tells you. Been there three times on one truck and had the same LB7 engine in the first two Duramaxs...

I traded a 01 at 42K miles, and a 02 at 98k miles just to rid myself of headaches.

The LLY is basically the LB7 with much better fuel injectors and rail system.

The LBZ is very sweet.

The LLM is still too new for me to know other than reading.

$25k should get you a 05 with an LLY engine, if you are patient and diligent on the deal. A 02 - 03 trades out for about 16 - 18k and goes to market for about 22k, so like I said, if you can find a 04 or 05 it will have the LLY diesel, you'll do well. You'll get your money out of a good used machine. They'll see 200K miles with service before any real need for attention other than batteries. For that just go Optima batteries. Plural as in, two for the diesel engine. Nothing about these things is cheap . It's another hole in the water hobby...

If at all possible, obtain service records, or find a GM / Chevy service guy to run the VIN through the computer. They can pull any service records.

Also check the gear. I do not recommend the 4.10:1 gear. Look for a 3.73:1 in my opinion.
Slight threadjack, but, Sporty, How often should I be replacing the fuel filter? Dealer told me every 10,000 miles.