Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Acme Prop Question -

I need a little help here - I have a 1996 Prostar 190 with the 275 HP engine. I'm looking to upgrade to an Acme, but need your thoughts on which one. I'm trying to decide between the #541 (13x12) or the #449 (13x12.625).

I've talked to both my dealer and to Acme dirrectly and they are giving me conflicting answers.

Is anyone else with the 275hp engine in the '95 - '97 hull runing a 3 blade acme? If so which one? What type of performance do you get out of it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Holtrodj; 03-02-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:33 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Doug, if you talked to a MC dealer, knowledgeable though they may be, I don't think they're an acme dealer. That doesn't mean they haven't forgotten more about these things than I'll ever know, but they probably don't sell a lot of them.

I'm running a 541 on a 93 hull with 285+ hp. My main use is slalom and it's been great for me. The only person I know that's using the 449 is Farmer Ted. He's running a 98 hull with an LT1 and is split between slalom and wakeboarding. If I recall, and I could be wrong, the reason for a little more pitch in his situation was the wakeboarding aspect.

At 275 hp, my guess would be the 541. Less pitch will give you a little more out of the hole (although the difference in the pitch of those two props is pretty miniscule).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I just found out that the 541 has the 1" bore and the other option has the 1 1/8" so that made my selection pretty easy - seeing as I don't have a powerslot tranny.

Did you loose any top end speed when you went from the 13x13 to the 13x12?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
No, all my stats stayed the same, but with a smoother ride and a better hole shot. Let's put it this way. It made my wife say, "Wow," and she doesn't tend to notice such things.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.