Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 2000
Waterski Tips........

Any tips on how to learn to lean on cuts? I have been skiing for awhile and would like to improve.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
There is an exercise you can do to get used to the feeling of the pull and the lean. Basically, pull out to one side or the other of the boat, it does not matter which one. When you are ready, look across the wake, perhaps to the tree tops on the other side of the lake to keep your head up and shoulders back, and just lean and pull in the direction you are looking. Pull long and hard through both wakes and let the ski accelerate and pull across the wake. Don't worry about the turn on the other side. Just go as wide as you can and let the ski slow on its own. When you are ready, do the same as above in the opposite direction. This exercise will help you get used to the pull, the angle, and the acceleration without worrying about putting the edge transition or turn into the equation. Try to keep your shoulders square and parallel with the back of the boat. After doing this a while try adding the turn in and take the acceleration all the way from finishing the turn to the preturn on the other side.

Good Luck.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I like to concentrate on drills.

My major ones.

Pull out drill, Start just outside the wakes and attempt to have a nice quick pull out from the wakes, this basically teaches you how to get an edge set with out leaning back.

Next I pull to the left or right and stay there, work on setting up a stance that you can hold comfortably, most people's method of wake crossing when held to the outside has alot of weight on the rear foot, this will show how unstable the posistion is.

Then I go from one side, set an edge, and hold it through the centerline of the wakes and coast out, if I don't get wide I haven't set a good edge, or I've let up early.

Biggest thing to learn is that you are not wanting to lean on the cuts.

What you actually want is for the ski to be on edge, if it is on edge and you can keep the tip pointed across the wakes then you will make it out to the other side. And that is something to really understand and work on.

So your main goal, learn how to set an edge that will allow you to make it where you need to be without leaning hard, how you do this is to maintain your speed by holding an edge, as you hold the edge the line tension will naturally increase (like riding a swing) then as you pass the centerline of the wake you just ride the swing out into your width.

On stance, lots of things work but the main things to keep in mind, shoulders square/open to the boat.

Athletic stance, weight between feet, with quite a bit of it on the front foot (its easier to say to try to put all of it there because most people lean back no matter how hard they put their weight forwards) You don't want to pull with your arms, you want to use your shoulders to keep your hands low and your arms extended towards your hips, this puts your mass behind the handle which helps keep your edge, if its away you will be tending to be pulled up off edge.

Lots of fun things to keep in mind, but mainly relax and work on efficiency (drills)
Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Purchase the Gordon Rathburns 12 slalom drills video it will really help.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 2000
Thanks to all for your info! I will take it to the water!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: "81" 351 Power Slot, Blue on Blue
Hey here's an scan I did from some old things I saved, hope it's helpful....................

Attachment 26935

Last edited by chudson; 07-31-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
get some sole, loose the ski's
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
My cousin has me doing ground work for muscle memory, I take the ski handle, attach it to something solid, ie the bumper of the truck, get into proper ski form and try to pull the object towards me, with the front ankle flexed, knees bent, chest up, shoulder blades pinched, handle low at the hips.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAT8415
My cousin has me doing ground work for muscle memory, I take the ski handle, attach it to something solid, ie the bumper of the truck, get into proper ski form and try to pull the object towards me, with the front ankle flexed, knees bent, chest up, shoulder blades pinched, handle low at the hips.
I have done this, and I guess it helps some. I have found, however, that nothing duplicates the balance, position, and pull of my body on the ski on the water. I spent much of the winter pulling on a stationary system in preparation for this spring with my new Monza. Let's just say that the first month's faceplants were plentiful. Maybe, without the winter prep, it would have been worse. Who knows?

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Same as "dryland" isn't it