Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-05-2004, 07:29 PM
MTskier19

'85 Skier Pylon

Hello all, I am new to this so, please bear with me.

We have had an 85 Skier for about ten years, and I have a question. The Pylon on our boat flexes when a skier crosses the wake. Is this normal? I can't remember this always happening, but I do remember trying to tighten the U-bolts underneath. (they were very tight already) I have skied behind lots of Mastercrafts and some flexed and some didn't. Is ours worn out, and can I get a new one?

Thanks for your time.
Mike

We don't spend too much time on the beach, in MT, your beer freezes 8 months of the year!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 205 prostar
take up the floor board around the pylon.check the bolts that secure the crossmember to the stringers.if these are stripped or loose they can be tapped out to the next size.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Maristar 210 openbow, 1990, 351W
I had to tighten my u-bolts on my pylon a couple of years ago. Much more of a noticeable flex with the extended wakeboard pylon. It scared the crap out of me at first, thought I was going to rip a hole in the bottom of the boat. They didnít seem to want to tighten, but finally did after I coaxed it with some elbow grease and used my spinach (PBR). Pylon will never wear out, just bend or break (very doubtful that this is possible under practical terms).
Old 08-06-2004, 12:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Or..... if your boat has wooden stringers, come completely out of the boat. The reason why I don't own an 84 supra Comp anymore is because each time I cut, the pilon moved about 2-3 inches. 2 owners after me, it came out. Along with the rudder a couple of weeks after that.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Jimmer, my brother in law has a 99 Supra comp and has a lot of pylon flex. They weren't still using wood in the stringers in 99 were they?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:19 PM
MC Maniac

No - I believe they fixed the wood bit in the mid to late 80's. A buddy of mine has a 98 legacy (they're version of the 205) and another of mine has a 99 (also the legacy) and another with a 98 comp. all of their's move about 1/2 an inch or so as well as vibrate. Supra uses a cup & set-screw design on their pilons. The vibration comes from the set-screws digging away at the pilon (the screws don't back out, the pilon loses metal ) Anyway - I think it's a poor design. One of my bud's who has a 98 Comp asked for a warranty on the pilon... they said "we'll replace it, but the new one will do the same thing anyway".....

Design flaw. go figure.
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:08 PM
MC Hero

So are you saying that if it moves, he can tighten it, but then, it'll vibrate?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:14 AM
MC Maniac

The ones I know - yes. They were fine for a bit, but after a while, they started vibrating/wobbleing. The pilon seems to be strong enough - but their mounting system stinks.
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
In both my old 94 PS 190 and my current 96 190 the pylons flex. They are tight and still flex.When I'm the spotter I like to put a foot on it to see how much it moves.Some skier came move it allot more then other.If the mounts are tight and still flexes it is normal.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:13 AM
MC Hero

I rode along on a 91 Ski Nautique and it flexed with hard course skiing. The driver/owner said this was normal. The pylon in my 93 p/s 205 doesn't flex at all with the same skier that will pull that supra pylon all over the place. I think his supra could stand some tightening.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club