Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
Sorry, another Perfect Pass question thread

I really thought I had it figured out, but then I started reading various PP threads on Ball of Spray and now I am doubting my understanding. Many people on BOS are saying you have to have Z-Box for a consistent pull even for open water.

I don't have access to a course and I and most of my family/friends slalom ski in the open water. My understanding was that PP Star Gazer Wake Edition would be the choice for me because I could set the desired speed, throttle up to that speed, let PP take control and it would take me all the way across the lake using an RPM base and correcting speed with GPS input (is that the "simple slalom" mode?). I assumed the Star Gazer system would allow me to not have to make any calculations for crew weight, wind speed, etc. because it would check the speed with GPS and that this would also help it maintain proper speed when the slalom skier was pulling against the boat.

Now I'm all confused. I just want to make it easier for the driver to get close to the chosen speed. If I can accomplish that with PP Cruise, then the price would be easier on my wallet. I don't want to buy the Star Gazer version and then end up just using it in the mode that is available with Cruise. And I don't want to buy the Z-Box upgrade because the wallet pain would just be too much for me right now. But if I can't get the performance I want without Z-Box, I will probably pass entirely on getting PP.

So, can someone who has this stuff figured out clear things up for me?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Sometimes technology is great...other times it's overkill. In your case, for seemingly what you're after, the most basic version of perfect pass would be fine (even without the GPS based add-ons or upgrades).

I used to set mine to slalom mode and it would run off the RPMs and gave a consistent enough pull for open water. If I wanted to barefoot, I would set it to wakeboard mode and bump the speed way up...worked fine that way too.

I never messed with the wind or boat weight adjustments...wasn't necessary for open water skiing. What difference does it make if the speed fluctuates 1/2 mph in open water?

Through the course, different story...maybe. Remember, people were skiing the course for 30 years before any sort of speed control was created. Now one would think you can't ski at all withouth GPS based speed control. Crazy.

My suggestion: buy the system that is easiest to use for your driver. For open water skiing, they will all be close enough.

That being said, GPS based speed control is pretty nice, but it's a luxury not a necessity.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyGuy View Post
I really thought I had it figured out, but then I started reading various PP threads on Ball of Spray and now I am doubting my understanding. Many people on BOS are saying you have to have Z-Box for a consistent pull even for open water.

I don't have access to a course and I and most of my family/friends slalom ski in the open water. My understanding was that PP Star Gazer Wake Edition would be the choice for me because I could set the desired speed, throttle up to that speed, let PP take control and it would take me all the way across the lake using an RPM base and correcting speed with GPS input (is that the "simple slalom" mode?). I assumed the Star Gazer system would allow me to not have to make any calculations for crew weight, wind speed, etc. because it would check the speed with GPS and that this would also help it maintain proper speed when the slalom skier was pulling against the boat.

Now I'm all confused. I just want to make it easier for the driver to get close to the chosen speed. If I can accomplish that with PP Cruise, then the price would be easier on my wallet. I don't want to buy the Star Gazer version and then end up just using it in the mode that is available with Cruise. And I don't want to buy the Z-Box upgrade because the wallet pain would just be too much for me right now. But if I can't get the performance I want without Z-Box, I will probably pass entirely on getting PP.

So, can someone who has this stuff figured out clear things up for me?
If you're not on a course or a timed run, it doesn't matter about the Z, regardless of mine and popular opinion. SOme may prefer ot for their wishful performance. It's like these guys that say they ski at 15' off at 30 MPH... makes a funny. it's irrelevant compared to the baseline of rules. You or no one else will know if you're off by +/- 1/2 - 2 MPH. the Z basically replaced the magnets for course timing at tournament sanctioned events.

Get the PP GPS Star model. Calibrate the RPM settings for speed (important step), set the anticipated weight of passenger and equipment (i added 400 lbs), and then set the desired mode and speed. You'll get the best speed that can ever be needed for what you described. I have never had the MC Cruise, but all things I have read make me think the PP is a more advanced thing.

I use the wake setting to program for 42 MPH for footing. Slalom will only program to 36.5 MPH which is all anyone should need in that mode.

Your call on the PP VS. Cruise but I can attest that the PP Star works very well. I check the readings with an independent GPS app and a third device. Spot on for speed accurate speed control once it sets. opinion only but its like you rear end, everybody has one
Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
Don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but I decided to go straight to the source to better understand how PP works. I just got off the phone with Mark at Perfect Pass. He explained that their latest software version does not require an RPM calibration and uses pure GPS to set and maintain speed with the Star Gazer Wake Edition. He said older versions couldn't use pure GPS because it didn't work well when turning, but they figured out a solution to that in the software code and now version 8.0.5 does not require an RPM baseline.

I am guessing that my confusion has come from reading threads about PP that were posted over the course of years with many different software versions being discussed. Mark's description of their latest version and how it works makes sense to me, and it sounds like exactly what I want.