Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2015, 02:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Looking
Potential Wisconsin Mirror Law

Wisconsin currently requires a "competent person" as a third for all tow sport activities. I know I'm not the only one who has had this law keep my boat out of the water on one of the good weather days in our short season. Thankfully, both the State Senate and Assembly have bills to amend the current law to allow for a wide view mirror exception to the competent person requirement. I've linked both Senate Bill 180 and Assembly Bill 256 below.
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/sb180
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/ab256

It appears SB180 is through committee. AB256 seems to have hit a snag in the Committee for Tourism. I am currently part of a group of people who are contacting both the chair and co-chair of the Assembly's Tourism Committee to voice support for the changes.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/201.../assembly/1414

If you have a spare minute and are interested please send along an email to support the measure. From what I have read the mirror exemption has not been a safety issue in Minnesota, which has a boating culture and environmental restrictions quite similar to Wisconsin.

Email for committee chair: Rep.Tranel@legis.wisconsin.gov
Email for committee vice-chair Rep.Jarchow@legis.wisconsin.gov

Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 03:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks on_wi! Come on Wisconsin people lets get behind this measure and voice our support! Even u Illinois guys that boat up here on Wisconsin can help get this passed!!!!!

I also know redline water sports is actually trying keep this measure going forward!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_wi View Post
Wisconsin currently requires a "competent person" as a third for all tow sport activities. I know I'm not the only one who has had this law keep my boat out of the water on one of the good weather days in our short season. Thankfully, both the State Senate and Assembly have bills to amend the current law to allow for a wide view mirror exception to the competent person requirement. I've linked both Senate Bill 180 and Assembly Bill 256 below.
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/sb180
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/ab256

It appears SB180 is through committee. AB256 seems to have hit a snag in the Committee for Tourism. I am currently part of a group of people who are contacting both the chair and co-chair of the Assembly's Tourism Committee to voice support for the changes.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/201.../assembly/1414

If you have a spare minute and are interested please send along an email to support the measure. From what I have read the mirror exemption has not been a safety issue in Minnesota, which has a boating culture and environmental restrictions quite similar to Wisconsin.

Email for committee chair: Rep.Tranel@legis.wisconsin.gov
Email for committee vice-chair Rep.Jarchow@legis.wisconsin.gov

Thanks
I'm confused with the "third" comment. I always thought we only needed a spotter. That would be two in the boat. I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but isn't that the reason for the observers seat facing the person at the end of the rope?
Old 11-05-2015, 03:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Good luck, we already have that in KY and it has saved many an outing, especially during the week.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
That's great news. I'll admit fault in convincing my wife to pull me on the glass this last 4th of July by herself before everyone else woke up. Small lake, early morning, nobody else on it except for a couple guys fishing. Oh yeah, and of the hundred lakes around the DNR was on this one checking fishing permits until they saw us go by. She was not too thrilled with the citation.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I'm confused with the "third" comment. I always thought we only needed a spotter. That would be two in the boat. I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but isn't that the reason for the observers seat facing the person at the end of the rope?
The spotter is the "third", along with the driver and the rider. The new law would allow two to go out if they have the wide view mirror.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post

Yes the spotter is the third. This amendment will do away with the requirement to have to have a spotter so long as boat has an adequate mirror.

As for seating, I've got rear facing seating in my boat for atleast 5 or 6 people to face the action going on behind the boat. I've also got a nice fat mirror so I can see the action myself!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:23 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
What about just finding a competent person there.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Last edited by TX.X-30 fan; 11-05-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-2
Main reason my wife and I vacation in MN over WI. I'll send them my Iowa feedback.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2015, 04:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
The spotter is the "third", along with the driver and the rider. The new law would allow two to go out if they have the wide view mirror.
Guess I stand corrected. UGH!! Crow doesn't taste good.