Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-30 MCX
Recognize these openings?

Got my new to me X30 home. As I am detailing the inside I am finding some cutouts where I suspect may have been some LED lighting Anyone recognize these opening and what I maintain place in there to replace whatever's was taken out? The bow opening is 1/2 inch diameter with 2 offset holes for mounting? The ones in the rear are 2 inch diameter. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2014, 05:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by drballenbc View Post
Got my new to me X30 home. As I am detailing the inside I am finding some cutouts where I suspect may have been some LED lighting Anyone recognize these opening and what I maintain place in there to replace whatever's was taken out? The bow opening is 1/2 inch diameter with 2 offset holes for mounting? The ones in the rear are 2 inch diameter. Thanks for any help.
The small ones may be for anything. The 2" dia. hole looks to be for a tweeter from a nicer system prior to sale. Ones on the exterior are vents and drains ???

$.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
All are from factory tweeters.
Rear cut in and flush mounted.
Front had the tear drop shaped surface mount pods. Two screws for mounting and one for wires.

Whoever changed those speakers out did it with coax instead of components. Cheaper.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-30 MCX
Thanks guys. The outside pic of the boat was unrelated. If I called The Mastercraft dealer could they help me replace this all back to the original speaker system? My OCD says I must fill those openings.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
It'd probably be more cost effective to find them used from someone who upgraded their sound system. Dealer will charge a fortune for the stock JL stereo.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Rears are standard flush mount tweeter cups, just measure so not to buy too small of a speaker. But I'm not sure those front pods are still available. That's probably a speaker manufacturer part, not MC. Could search and find components with a tear drop mount like that. I think MC used Clarion back then, just make sure they'll cover all the screw holes.: http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...22S/index.html

Local car audio shop (if you have one) could make something similar I'm sure. I know we could. Or check with the big online audio dealers like Earmark to see if they have any take outs lying around.

Last resort it's not a bad DIY to make some, only gets expensive if you have to buy the tools:
--Buy your components and dig out the flush mount tweeter cups from the box.
--Buy a cheap 1/4" thick plastic cutting board from hardware store. (No wood in the boat).
--Cut the shape you need to sit on the fiberglass out of the cutting board.
--Use two hole saws to cut separate rings for your tweeter mounts.
--Super glue or hot glue your tweeter rings at an angle like the originals. (Google images)
--Wrap grill cloth or t-shirt material tightly over the whole thing and glue it to the back side.
--Fiberglass resin the cloth.
--Reinforce with more cloth if necessary, body fill, sand, and paint white.
--Install tweeter cups and tweeters and enjoy.
--Marvel at what an audio stud you've become in such a short time.

There are tons of videos and how-tos out there on making fiberglass pods. Probably done in less than one 12 pack including curing times for a first timer.

**Might even be able to buy the proper size pvc for the tweeter cups and cut it at a severe angle, then make a mounting strap or plate for the inside to fasten to the boat.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Back then it was a Clarion Factory sound system So finding these to put back in will be next to impossible. I know at one point people were fabbing up billet aluminum "plates" to cover the front tear drops. The others will hold a standard component tweeter.

Depending on what u think its worth to you a good gelcoat guy could easily fill those tear drops up front and just buy some components to fill the rear. Several companies, Polk comes to mind, offer a component speaker that can be mounted like a coaxial or offer an option to mount the tweeter seperate. Then you fill voids in the cabin with seperate tweeter mount and the bow tweeter can be mounted right to your speaker basket.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 02' X30 + 90' PS 190
Picture of the tweeters on my 2002 X30. Although, its not a great picture of the tweeter plates. I can take a better picture tomorrow if wanted.