Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-28-2005, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
Can't get in nuetral

When the transmission is in nuetral it is still spinning the prop shaft. I disconnected the transmission cable to insure the transmission was in the nuetral position and it is. This is not intermittant free spinning. Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Do you see absolutely no difference between neutral and in gear or is it just 'creeping' (maybe turning 1/4 the turns it is in gear)?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
This was explained to me the other day, but when they get older, the clutch plate (or something) gets a little warped, and causes the prop shaft to spin a bit when it's in neutral. My SWCC mechanic described it as absolutely nothing to worry about.

If I've got my parts mixed up, someone please correct me (politely)

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
Do you see absolutely no difference between neutral and in gear or is it just 'creeping' (maybe turning 1/4 the turns it is in gear)?
I see no difference... that prop shaft is not creeping. I discovered this out of the water so there is no water resistance. This is a 'new to me' 93 prostar 205 with a 1/1 model 1017 borg warner. Put my mind to ease East texas on this one....summer is creeping up and I keep finding things to fix.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:18 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
In my situation, whether in the water or on the hose, when I first start it up, the shaft will start turning. It bothered me until an inboard mechanic I trust told me that they all do it and that I shouldn't worry about it. I don't know if your boat is doing the same thing, but a lot of the older boats do what mine is doing.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
will your boat go into reverse? and if and when it does, does it clunk real hard?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
The reason I asked is because my brand new transmission creeps a bit when it is in neutral. When on the trailer I would say that the prop is probably turning about 200 rpm or so. Goes into and out of both forward and reverse as smooth as silk just has a bit of a creep. My mechanic says that this happens sometimes with the new transmissions as the clutches are still a bit 'tight' and the creep should lessen with some hours on the water. At first it bothered me but now I barely notice.

Sounds like yours may be due to what EastTexas said. If it is clunking into or out of gear though you may have additional problems.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
Yes they can all do this from time to time and I bet if more of us had the boats out of the water and fired them up on "fake-a-lake" or similar, we would see it more often. You might try, if not already, changing the tranny fluid and see if that helps. My boat has done it on occasion too. It did it one day on the fake a lake, I reached up and just barely grabbed the shaft in front of the strut and it stopped; it didn't start again after I released it...just one of my experiences.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

The transmission fluid is fresh and is at the proper level. The transmission works fine in forward and reverse without any big clunk when engaging. I tried to grab the shaft and it didn't stop so I backed off because I need my arm and hand.