Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-05-2004, 03:10 PM
trash

Question paddlewheel intermittent

Has anyone had a problem with their paddlewheel being intermittent? I have a 2002 X7, and the speedos stop working periodically (usually dead in the morning, intermittent through the rest of the day). I scoped out the paddlewheel signal, and the signal looks right, but only around 5 volts peak(sometimes less). I would have thought it should be around a 12V digital signal (i.e frequency changes with speed)

I have no other paddlewheel to swap it out for and confirm whether it's bad, and no mastercraft dealer within 400 miles.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Trash
Old 08-06-2004, 09:53 AM
John Crowley

Trash
I had a similar problem in my 02 197 with my speedos. After trying to chase it myself, testing the paddlewheel and taking the MDC unit out and bringing it to my dealer both of which tested OK, I ended up bring the whole boat to the dealer. the bottom line was they replaced both. Problem solved. The units were warrantied so don't wait.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:08 PM
TT Newbie

Question Speedo, paddlewheel, MDC unit problem?

I also have an 02 PS 197 Pro Tournament Team boat with a failed speedo. I had the speedo GPS calibrated and it was working fine earlier this summer. One day the speedo started reading 50 MPH while the boat was moving slowly. That symptom lasted about a day, now the speedo gauge does not work at all. My Perfect Pass continues to work fine and read the MPH with a slight speed offset as usual. Doesn’t the Perfect Pass get its signal from the paddlewheel? Is this a speedo gauge, paddlewheel, or MDC unit failure? I have read on other threads that the MDC unit is covered under warranty for 5 years, how about the gauges and paddlewheel warranty period? Is there any way to isolate which component has failed?