Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-24-2005, 10:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Valve Tap

So after more than 900 hours I think it is time to either replace the rockers, springs, lifters, and valve guides or take the heads in for a valve job. Here is some background info.

1) The valve train only taps when you run it up to WOT for more than a few minutes. It doesn't do it after I make runs at lower RPMs.
2) I attempted to adjust the valves late last summer and it seemed to work for 10-20 hours. I basically loosened the rockers until they made noise and then tighten them back until you couldn't hear the noise anymore and then added another 1/4 turn.
3) Since the engine I have ('95 350tbi) has flat valve tappets I think I can just buy new retainer nuts and then tighten to 20lbs, as the nuts may have been worn and backed out again after my first attempt to adjust.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
How many valves are making noise?

-Tom
Old 02-24-2005, 07:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Ohio- get a manual and adjust the valves according to their procedure. When you adjusted them, did you rotate the crank to the points on the cam where the rocker arms have the least pressure on them? If not, the added pressure from the cam lobes would give you a false reading if you used a torque wrench. On this motor, it's supposed to be done with a feeler gauge.