Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft LT1 205 Prostar
Rope in Prop strut

Well we finally got our boat on the water for the FIRST TIME this season ! With all the rain we've had in Oklahoma this season most of the lakes are unusable, and with my constant travel schedule it's rained nearly every time I've been home.

It was a great day except for the part where my wife ran over our brand new spectra wakeboard rope .......Oh well.

Anyhoo, I was able to extract most of the rope,but as I was getting the boat ready to go out this afternoon I noticed that there is a bit of rope material wedged into the shaft strut. I did my best to pick it out, but the pick pretty much just penetrates the material w/out pulling a whole lot out.

The shaft doesn't seem to have any more resistance to rotation than normal, but squeaks just a bit as it is turned.

Do you guys think it'll work itself out w/out damaging the bearings or do you think I should scrap today and pull the strut and clean it all out?

Quick answers are much appreciated as my wife will be home in under two hours ready to go to the lake and I'd rather not mention this to her as she already feels bad about the rope.

Thanks all !
Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMC
Well we finally got our boat on the water for the FIRST TIME this season ! With all the rain we've had in Oklahoma this season most of the lakes are unusable, and with my constant travel schedule it's rained nearly every time I've been home.

It was a great day except for the part where my wife ran over our brand new spectra wakeboard rope .......Oh well.

Anyhoo, I was able to extract most of the rope,but as I was getting the boat ready to go out this afternoon I noticed that there is a bit of rope material wedged into the shaft strut. I did my best to pick it out, but the pick pretty much just penetrates the material w/out pulling a whole lot out.

The shaft doesn't seem to have any more resistance to rotation than normal, but squeaks just a bit as it is turned.

Do you guys think it'll work itself out w/out damaging the bearings or do you think I should scrap today and pull the strut and clean it all out?

Quick answers are much appreciated as my wife will be home in under two hours ready to go to the lake and I'd rather not mention this to her as she already feels bad about the rope.

Thanks all !

I would get all of the stuff out of there unless you could be certain there is none inside the strut. What percentage of the section of rope is in there? 10% 50%?

Did she immobilize the prop from turning by getting the rope wrapped up in there? If she did that is not good........
Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
I'd also be inclined to say to make sure it's all out of there....

I've noticed if I am running my boat in the driveway, my strut/shaft squeals when I drop it into gear for a second...... ie: no lube/water/etc.....

btw, what lake you going to in Oklahoma?
I'm always at Tenkiller

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 07-25-2007, 03:22 PM
TT Newbie

We just went to Thunderbird. We can be from our driveway to on the water in one hour. We want to hit some of the outlying lakes in the next few weeks if we can.

I'd say there was way less than 1% packed in between the strut and shaft. I've picked out some, but there is a small amount left. It just looks like melted black rubber.If I had a prop puller I could probably get more of it.

The prop was not stopped by the rope. She did let it go for a while 'til I told her to stop. (She was a bit confounded)

I'd say resistance to rotation is no more than normal.

We were probably about 2 miles from the ramp. I didn't notice any vibration or odd noises on the drive to the ramp.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
You are fine. Don't worry about it and hit the lake.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:57 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
You are fine. Don't worry about it and hit the lake.
I called MC of Charlotte and the tech guy said basically the same. Since that is really the answer I wanted to hear I'm ging to take your advice.

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Leroy

I wouldn't worry about it either, doesn't sound too bad if I have pictured it right!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
TT Newbie

Just returned from the lake. No problems noted with the operation of the boat and prop turns freely now with boat on the trailer.

What a relief!

Thanks for the help everybody!