Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 MCX
Angry Dealer Woes

Okay. Here is another dealer story. I am just in the mood to vent a little.

I had a problem with our 2005 X-2. You can read my post about the problem in the General Section "How to Reset Engine ECU." I basically was getting a flashing ECU light when the key was turned to ON and everything worked except the engine would not fire (crank, but not fire).

I emailed the dealer on a Sun night to let them know I wanted to bring my boat in on Mon. I called them on Mon. They said to bring it in and if someone could look at it that day they would (they were doubtful), but if I did bring it in they could have it to look at Tues morning. I called on Wed to check how things were going. I had to leave a message. Two hours later I called again (they never returned my call). They told me that they had not looked at the boat. I was polite and mentioned that they said they would look at it Tues and I was told they were 2 weeks behind. I reminded them that the problem with my boat could be solved/fixed in less than 1 hour (hook computer up to ECU, change out ECU). I am a nice guy but the fact that they are 2 weeks behind is not my problem. They told me they would look at it on Tues.

So, I was kind of pissed off. I emailed the store manager that night. It was a fairly lengthy message, but I told him all of the facts in a very polite manner. The next morning I received a reply. The first thing the manager said to me was, "Yo James," Okay, call me crazy, but is "Yo James" the proper way to reply to someone who is a customer? He backed his service people, but said he would check on it. Friday I received a call from the service department. They hooked up the computer and told me it was the ECU. I held back what I was thinking ("No sh#t, I told you that days ago). Well, she told me it was $1,000 for the part and asked me what I wanted to do. Well, I mentioned it was still under warranty and she paused then said, "Well, we'll have to determine what caused it to fail and see if it falls under the warranty." I hate to say, but I got a strong feeling they were reluctant to file a claim. I felt as if they would prefer for me to hand over $1,000+ instead of filing a warranty claim. They said that they had to order the part regardless and i asked them to notify me if anything changed as far as the claim would go.

Well, Thur we had gone to place a cover on our boat. It was then that I found it was covered in bugs. Granted, I should have covered it but I wish they would have urged me to. We keep it garaged and never use the cover. Since the part was not suppose to be in until next Mon or Tues (I was told), I decided to pick up the boat, get it home, and clean it. It was during the wash that I noticed a pen mark on the engine cover. I plan on mentioning it to them but I do not want them trying to remove it. It is on the part of the cover that is not seen when the cover is closed. But, the bad taste in my mouth keeps getting worse.

So, I call them on Mon and left a message. My call was never returned. I called again on Tues. I was told they had to contact MC to verify I was the original owner and they did not get verification (via email) till today (Tues) and that they were preparing to order the part. I was told it should be in by Fri or the first of next week. "Email?" I live in Knoxville, TN. I can drive to the MC plant in less than an hour. More than likely a phone call would be local. I asked them about having it shipped overnight. She told me they would check on it and call me back. Guess what? Right, I never received a call. So, here it is Wed, and as soon as I get done writing I am going to call them.

I don't know? Am I being too whinny? I understand that service is an inexact science. But, I bring them a boat that ideally could take less than an hour to fix. i would think that it would not hamper their schedule to put one guy on my boat to run the diagnostics (less than 30 minutes) then say we need a new box (ECU). Get a new box and install it (10 minutes). Okay, if that doesn't fix it, then I will understand taking a number and waiting in line. I actually told them if it turned out not to be a simple fix i would understand waiting. Then, on top of it all, the inability to return calls, "Yo James", wanting to NOT do their job by processing a claim, and taking way more time than necessary. I apologize for being picky, but I believe that they could be doing a way better job. A friend once told me he would never take his boat back to this dealer. But, since this looked like a warranty issue, I really had no choice. Once the warranty is expired, I will be looking into alternatives.

Okay, I feel better (for now). Hopefully I will have good news here in a few minutes after my phone call.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Your dealer sucks. Unacceptable IMHO and I would be looking elsewhere for service. Contact MC directly and file a complaint.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
I understand what your saying. Nothing makes me madder than when a smart a$$ service man/woman tells you they can do something, then they fall on their faces. This happens more times than not. Although I have never had a probelm with the MasterCraft service dept. that I use (Texas MasterCraft). But it seem every Chevrolet and Ford dealerships are all talk. Then when you call them out on it they have an attitude like its your fault. They don't understand why your pissed off cause you bought a $50,000 truck that has 5,000 miles on it and its in the shop and they are draging their feet. It seems like they don't understand the fact I didn't buy multiple vehicles so I can rotate them out through a service dept. I bought a $50,000 vehicle so I wouldn't have to.

I am going through this samething with ford service.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary
Nothing makes me madder than when a smart a$$ service man/woman tells you they can do something, then they fall on their faces. This happens more times than not. Although I have never had a probelm with the MasterCraft service dept. that I use (Texas MasterCraft).
I'm glad you have had better luck with them in this regard than I did a few years ago. I've heard that they are under new management since 2004. Is that true?

Boofer, I'm sorry you're having these problems. With regard to the pen mark, give magic eraser a shot. It may make that mark disappear pretty fast. Hope this all works out for you.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary
I am going through this samething with ford service.
Another happy powerstroke owner?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I'm glad you have had better luck with them in this regard than I did a few years ago. I've heard that they are under new management since 2004. Is that true?

Boofer, I'm sorry you're having these problems. With regard to the pen mark, give magic eraser a shot. It may make that mark disappear pretty fast. Hope this all works out for you.
You will be treated right by Texas Mastercraft. They reorganized their service department a couple of years ago and are working in a great new facility. I have always gotten great service from them. Jeff, Andy, and the rest of the crew rock!!!!!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
There can be many reasons why a service visit can take longer than the owner thinks it should, so I'm always inclined to give a dealer the benefit of a doubt knowing that they have other customers to service that are just as important to them as I am. But IMHO not returning a customer's telephone calls is unacceptable performance and suggests a lack of committment to customer service that may very well carry over into the service department.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 yellow X10, MCX
be patienct, you know every customer expects the same speedy service you do and it is summer time, their busiest time of the year. Most dealerships, I would suspect do boats as they come in and as they get parts for the boats. Yes your problem may have only taken 30 mins to diagnose but what about the guy who's been without his boat because he was waiting for parts and they finally came in, only to have his repair delayed because someone else brought a boat in. Most people understand you may have to wait for repairs especially during the summer. I know its frustrating, I've been there!! Getting angry usually gets you no where fast. Keep on top of them.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:35 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
You will be treated right by Texas Mastercraft. They reorganized their service department a couple of years ago and are working in a great new facility. I have always gotten great service from them. Jeff, Andy, and the rest of the crew rock!!!!!
Tex, that answers my question as to whether it's the same people there. Thanks. I never got to the point of having my boat serviced there.

I know, I know. Sorry for bringing up old stuff, but I've got an elephant's memory. I'm glad so many of their customers are of the satisfied variety and that I am the exception.

But like BigMac said, the return phone call thing is just very important to me.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:40 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
I honestly don't understand how some dealerships stay in business. There is a huge problem when service becomes a back burner issue. The best customer is a repeat customer or a word of mouth customer. How does the management of said dealerships not get that. Happy customers = referrals and repeat business. It is that simple.