Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 08:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 351 Windsor 1:1 Borg Warner
Back Problems

Anybody barefoot or trick ski with a bad back? I have a herniated disk and a bulging disk in my lower back. I go in for an injection next week. I'm just wondering if my mastercraft days are over?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Far from over. I had mine taken care of 20 some years ago. Just got off the trampoline practicing flips with the kids and now we're off to the tennis courts. I'll be wakeboarding on Saturday. Prior to getting it taken care of, there were days where I couldn't take a deep breath without extreme pain. I've learned to take much better care of my body and stay in shape because I never want to live through that again.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
i have a S5 full herniated disk and a couple partials ... and a bulge in my neck ... but it doesn't bother me barefooting or slalom skiing ... i'm wearing a back brace this year

i also keep telling my wife what the doctor ordered to make me better ... its medically proven for gosh sake!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:52 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I've been fighting a bad back for over 25 years. My best days are when I was always skiing. I have gone to chiropractor, and physical therapy. I have had X-rays and an MRI and the only thing it shows is a narrowing between 4 and 5 which could be causing the beginning of stenosis.

What I am dealing with mainly is tight muscles and severe pain. I pop Advil during the day, take Aleve at night, use Solonpause twice a day and do exercises and stretching four times a day.

With all that, the main thing that helps loosen my back up before a barefoot or ski session, is Vodka. Yep, I'll drink a tall Bloody Mary before I barefoot.

Still trying to figure it out but I'm not ready to slow down.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Pro 197
My wife is a chiropractor so my posts might be a little bias. I have had my share of back problems. I ski 3 times a week. Last year I became very good about range of motion exercises and core work. It has done wonders. No problems at all. Traction table or inversion tables are helpful as well.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by baedriver View Post
My wife is a chiropractor so my posts might be a little bias. I have had my share of back problems. I ski 3 times a week. Last year I became very good about range of motion exercises and core work. It has done wonders. No problems at all. Traction table or inversion tables are helpful as well.

So a teeter hang up might be a good purchase?

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X Star, cute pumpkin motor, 2008 XStar LY6 (gone), 2006 X-15 (gone)
I would consider it double D
Old 07-30-2015, 11:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
broke my back in 88 and still run the course at least 3-5 times a week in the summer
Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 205 TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by baedriver View Post
Last year I became very good about range of motion exercises and core work. It has done wonders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I've learned to take much better care of my body and stay in shape because I never want to live through that again.
Core is the key, I've had 2 discs sliced and diced and still got one herniated disc left untouched, the key for me was/is core strength conditioning, general fitness and trying to extend my overall range of motion (still struggling with that though tbh! - but that's because I don't do it everyday)
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Iíve had problems with lower back spasms for many years. I either had to deal with it for several days or take a muscle relaxer prescribed by the doctor. I bought an inversion table and saw no benefit at all for my back, but your results may differ. I talked with a trainer at the gym and he pointed out a very simple machine that specifically targets the lower back. Itís made by Precor and I do three, 20 second pulls at the end of my workout. I noticed a difference immediately and I havenít had any back spasms in over a year. Since you have obvious disk issues, I would talk with your doctor before using either machine. Funny, I had my back lock up while leaning over my truck engine but never behind the boat. I think itís the adrenaline.

I never even got the inversion table close to be totally inverted because the blood rushing to my head made it hard to relax.
Attached Images