Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 MCX
Thanks Steve for your input. I am led to believe that the depth finder is working. The reading varies between 8.3 and 8.5. The only time I saw 0.5 was when I hooked it up before I installed it to make sure the control box was at least communicating with the transducer. I did this to make sure I was not going to epoxy a dead transducer to the floor. But, the true test will be in the water (if I ever get there).

I think that the most aggravating aspect of this whole situation is that I did not have to do anything to existing components except disconnect the battery and the 24-pin MMDC connector. When I ran the wire for the transducer I did not come across a single snag.

I am curious. Does anyone know where the MMDC and the ECU ground to? I had a grounding issue with my car earlier this year. A ground point was tight and clean. But, I cleaned the contacts and tapped out the hole because I had nothing left to check. This fixed my problem.

In any case, I still have one day left before the dealer decides to go back to work and I can get the boat in. So, if anyone has any other recommendations, please feel free to chime in.

PS
Although the battery was not dead, I am charging it as I type just to see if it makes things any better.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Just thought I would update this post. I took the boat to the dealer. I could start a whole other post about the ongoing situation with them. But, it appears that the ECU is bad. They said it was getting power, but it was not working. Fortunately, the engine is still under warranty. They have ordered the part and I am "patiently" awaiting their call to take the boat back to them.

I do not think that anything I did caused the ECU failure. I went by their own instructions just as a paid MC technician would (or is suppose to). I think that I had a bad ECU and it was just a matter of timing.

I will post about the situation with the dealer. It is frustrating.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by boofer
Just thought I would update this post. I took the boat to the dealer. I could start a whole other post about the ongoing situation with them. But, it appears that the ECU is bad. They said it was getting power, but it was not working. Fortunately, the engine is still under warranty. They have ordered the part and I am "patiently" awaiting their call to take the boat back to them.

I do not think that anything I did caused the ECU failure. I went by their own instructions just as a paid MC technician would (or is suppose to). I think that I had a bad ECU and it was just a matter of timing.

I will post about the situation with the dealer. It is frustrating.
Check all the grounds and then check them again. I had to have my MDC replaced on my 05 within the first year.....they are very fragile. However I have unplugged mine a dozen times since as well as many more on other boats.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Diesel,

I checked what grounds I could find. But, without any sort of wiring diagram, I cannot check all of them.

I work on my own car and I have had a few grounding issues. So, I am somewhat familiar with the troubles that they can cause. But, I have a wiring book for my car and I know how to trace components to their respective grounding points.

If you know of any particular spots that I should check, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Diesel,

I checked what grounds I could find. But, without any sort of wiring diagram, I cannot check all of them.

I work on my own car and I have had a few grounding issues. So, I am somewhat familiar with the troubles that they can cause. But, I have a wiring book for my car and I know how to trace components to their respective grounding points.

If you know of any particular spots that I should check, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks
The MDC and all other accessories should ground under the driver console on a single ground terminal. From the ground terminal you should have a connection at the battery.

Here is a pic,
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Deisel. I have seen that one and I checked it and the grounding bus next to it. Now if I am correct, they had issues with the MMDC's when they were hooked to the grounding bus and they were resolved when they hooked it to the battery (via the large connection in your photo)?

BTW, did you go out and take that picture just for this post? If so, I must give you a stern thanks for going the extra mile!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:37 PM
MC Master Poster

boofer- Erik and Will were working because there were things that needed to be done. I haven't met Erk but I worked with Will and he's not an "I only work when I'm scheduled" or "I only go in when we're open" kind of guy.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:52 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
BTW, did you go out and take that picture just for this post? If so, I must give you a stern thanks for going the extra mile!
Don't flatter yourself

I actually grabbed it from my stereo install archive.

Best of luck!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
boofer- Erik and Will were working because there were things that needed to be done. I haven't met Erk but I worked with Will and he's not an "I only work when I'm scheduled" or "I only go in when we're open" kind of guy.
I haven't a clue what you are referring to JimN

In any case Deisel, thanks.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:11 AM
MC Master Poster

From your post, "One note. I am kind of amazed that the Chicago guys were working today. My local shop has someone in sales but the service area is closed. And I live just down the street from where these boats are built. I might understand being closed on Sunday. But, seeing as most people work during the week, I would think that the service department would be open at least on Saturday."

I meant that Erik and Will are there to take care of the customers, not work on a fixed schedule. Some people understand that customer's hours don't coincide with store hours. Some dealers get it, some don't.