Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 MCX
Exclamation How to Reset ECU/MMDC?

I installed a factory depth finder on a 2005 X-2. Part of the installation requires you to disconnect one of the plugs from the MMDC. At some point I connected everything back up and turned the key to check things out. I got a flashing "ECU" annunciation. Well, I tried several things and eventually got all back to normal. I finished the depth finder installation. When I went to turn the key I get the flashing "ECU" annunciation. Only, this time no matter what I do, I cannot get things back to normal. I have double-checked everything. One thing that I notice is that the "calibration" noise that you hear from the engine area (I think that it is the Perfect Pass) is not making any noise. When everything works, you hear that noise when you turn the key. Is there any way to reset the MMDC or the ECU? Please help!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

I have tried every thing that I can think of. Disconnect battery, unplug MMDC, replug in MMDC, reconnect battery, etc: every possible way. I really would appreciate some help. It does not make any sense whatsoever. Someone help me, PLEASE!!!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boofer
I installed a factory depth finder on a 2005 X-2. Part of the installation requires you to disconnect one of the plugs from the MMDC. At some point I connected everything back up and turned the key to check things out. I got a flashing "ECU" annunciation. Well, I tried several things and eventually got all back to normal. I finished the depth finder installation. When I went to turn the key I get the flashing "ECU" annunciation. Only, this time no matter what I do, I cannot get things back to normal. I have double-checked everything. One thing that I notice is that the "calibration" noise that you hear from the engine area (I think that it is the Perfect Pass) is not making any noise. When everything works, you hear that noise when you turn the key. Is there any way to reset the MMDC or the ECU? Please help!
I got nothing', just spitballin' and bumping your thread. I assume you've double and triple checked your wiring to make sure everything is plugged back in, and in the right places.

When I turn my boat's key on, I get the noise from the fuel pump spinning up and pressurizing the fuel system, I get a ratcheting noise as the MMDC comes online and activates the gauges, and I get a beep from the PP unit. Are you getting those things? IOW, are your gauges activating? Is your fuel pump spinning up? It seems to me the problem lies in the MMDC.

Have you taken the depth finder back out of the circuit? That would be my first step. The depth finder has to plug itself into the MMDC, I assume, since it has to display in the MFD in the tach. The MFD is pretty integral to the ECU, so I'm guessing a problem with the MMDC might flash an ECU error. Maybe there's a defect in the depth finder, short in the wiring for example, that's keeping the MMDC from working (that's why I'm curious about if your gauges activate). If you have unplugged the depth finder and it still doesn't work, I'd be worried about something actually damaging the MMDC.

You can clear the error code from the display, IIRC, by cycling through the MFD display, with the switch - time, temp, engine hours etc. If that doesn't clear the annunciation with the depth finder out of the circuit and get things back to normal, it's gonna need a trip to the dealer.

Last edited by bigmac; 07-14-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for your input bigmac.

Here is what I get. I turn the key to the "ON" position. I hear the PP beep, the gauges make their noise, but despite the fact that they"twitch" they do not read anything. The battery should read around 12 volts and the fuel gauge should start rising. Within a few seconds the MFD starts falshing "ECU." The one noise missing during this initial turn of the key is the noise from the engine compartment. This boat has the throttle-by-wire system. If I am correct it makes an initial adjustment to the throttle tension. I cannot ever hear the fuel pump even when things work (my hearing is not 100% anymore these days).

I have double-double-checked all of the wiring that I came into contact with during the depth finder installation. Fact is, I did not have to do much more than hook the wires up to their respective connections. I tried completely removing the depth finder from the system by unhooking both the data connection and the power connection. This did not make any difference. But, when it was hooked up I could toggle to the depth reading and it was reading (8.5 feet). Granted the reading was not correct since it is sounding through thin air.

I followed the Mastercraft instructions that were sent to me by Mastercraft to a tee. At some point before I actually got the depth finder installed I hooked the MMDC and battery back up. I cannot recall why I did this. I had the same problem. I disconnected the battery and the MMDC in some sequence and hooked them back up in some sequence and got all back to normal. I just cannot recall my sequence and I have tried multiple sequences of the same procedure both with and without the depth finder hooked up.

If I am correct the MMDC stands for something like Multi Mode Display Control. So, the MMDC is responsible for all of the gauges and such. The ECU (Engine Control Unit) is engine specific. I know that the ECU stores fault codes and like most cars there is a way to clear these codes. On the airplane that I fly the autopilot sometimes will not work if there are too many fault codes stored in its memory. We fix it by clearing the memory/fault codes. I am tending to think that the ECU is experiencing something similar. I have checked the one circuit breaker and the 3 fuses. Nothing tripped or blown.

Since I am not hearing the noises from the engine area, I think that the ECU is not going through its initialization. But, if the MMDC is responsible for telling the ECU to "start" then that might be the problem.

I have a hard time believing that the MMDC or the ECU would fail without provocation. I am very picky about doing things right. I talked to a service guy several times before I actually installed the depth finder so that I would get it right the first time. Installing the depth finder was a very simple procedure. Although the problem did not start till the depth finder installation, I do not believe that it is involved in my problem. The problem occurred once "during" the installation beofre the depth finder was even hooked up.

It looks like a big weekend is flubbed up. We were suppose to go to a lake party, the daughter got new bindings, we got a new GPS, and a chance to try out the depth finder.

One other note. I checked the kill lanyard. I cannot recall (it was like 3:00am) how I checked it, but it is working. Also, I cycled through the displays (air, water, hours, etc.). I did not know that this had anything to do with clearing the MMDC as you mentioned. But, obviously it did not work.

Well, any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:42 PM
MC Platinum

Bummer. I think your only maneuver left is to hook up a code reader and see what the error code is and clear it. The MEFI 4 EFI has an OBD II port IIRC, but I don't know if a standard OBD II reader will work, or if there is a specific marine code reader. I believe there is no aftermarket way of pulling the code. I have seen mention of getting the ECU into diagnostic mode by shorting two of the pins, and a search here may give some info on that, but I've seen learned men (JimN, EngineNut, TheLegend and Erk) argue these points pro and con enough that my approach would be to take it to the dealer and have them do it.

I'd give your dealer a call. Alternatively, you might consider calling Eric at Chicago MasterCraft (ErKoehler) this morning, see if he's in. He's a very helpful guy. Likewise, try PMing EngineNut, who works for Indmar, or JimN. Maybe PM or call some of the other dealers on the board like Jim@BAWS, maybe Mike at MasterCraft of Charlotte (MYMC).

Here's an anecdote which may be totally irrlelevant. I accidentally got on my Harley last year with the alarm engaged. After I disengaged the alarm, I got an ECU error code and it wouldn't start. I took it home and disconnected the battery for a few minutes, legend being that that will clear the code. It didn't. I re-disconnected the battery overnight and planned to take it to the dealer the next day. The next day, on a whim I reconnected the battery and the thing started right up, and no error code. Now, this may be totally non-applicable, but the ECU in my Harley is the same Delphi ECU as my 2004 MasterCraft. FWIW.

Last edited by bigmac; 07-14-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks bigmac. I might try to contact one of the people you mentioned.

I have come across the same information about shorting two pins on the diagnostic connector. But, without a manual in my hands, I prefer not to go shorting pins on a diagnostic connector based on forum information. Plus, that procedure is to put the ECU in a diagnostic mode for using a diagnostic computer to access ECU information, and will not "clear" codes.

I just went out and did some more checking. I found that if I unhooked the 24 pin harness from the MMDC, I get the same exact results. I opened the connector and all of the wires are in tact. I also double-checked the pins and the receptacles; nothing broken. All of the grounds appear secure. So, I think that I have narrowed the problem down to something associated with that connector or something it connects to.

I left the battery and the 24 pin harness disconnected all night. Right now, I have disconnected that harness and completely unhooked the battery (as opposed to only disconnecting the neg terminal). And, by the way, any time I disconnect the battery I am disconnecting all of the connections (not just the large one).
Old 07-14-2007, 03:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

I talked to Erik in Chicago. He forwarded me to a service guy. We could not come to any resolution other than get the boat to a dealer to have them check out the ECU. Erik and Will (I think was his name), were both very pleasant to talk to and showed a genuine desire to help me.

He did clarify with me what the noise is in the engine compartment when you turn the key to ON. It is the PP servo. This is what I am not hearing and what I do hear when everything goes as normal. I am just curious if anyone knows the whereabouts of this servo.

I did check the two fuses that are associated with the PP and they were okay. I rechecked all of the wiring connectors. I guess I am destined to take it to the shop. I can only hope that this is not something severe or recurring like I have read about in the past day.

One note. I am kind of amazed that the Chicago guys were working today. My local shop has someone in sales but the service area is closed. And I live just down the street from where these boats are built. I might understand being closed on Sunday. But, seeing as most people work during the week, I would think that the service department would be open at least on Saturday.

Needless to say, I am pissed. I have a feeling that the fix will be simple and yet my family and I are going to miss out on at least one perfect weekend. We had big plans; no, huge plans.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofer

He did clarify with me what the noise is in the engine compartment when you turn the key to ON. It is the PP servo. This is what I am not hearing and what I do hear when everything goes as normal. I am just curious if anyone knows the whereabouts of this servo.

I did check the two fuses that are associated with the PP and they were okay. I rechecked all of the wiring connectors. I guess I am destined to take it to the shop. I can only hope that this is not something severe or recurring like I have read about in the past day.
I was under the impression that engines with TBW like your 2005 used the Indmar ECT and as such have no Perfect Pass servo. When Perfect Pass is installed in 2005 boats, my understanding is that their Master Module plugs into the ECU, and then the boat's ECU has to be re-flashed to be able to interface with Perfect Pass. Do you have a Perfect Pass servo, or is it using ECT?

PP servo looks like this in boats that need it, as I think yours does not...

So, you're not hearing your Perfect Pass spooling up now and you were before, and it is apparently an integral part of your ECU...Maybe your Perfect Pass is borked. I wonder what happens if you take the Perfect Pass MMU out of the circuit...

Last edited by bigmac; 07-14-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Good observation bigmac. I think that you are correct. I do not have a conventional throttle cable and I do not have what is pictured. I am getting brain dead now. I want to say that when I bought the boat they told me that the noise was some sort of calibration of something.

Well, I am really bummed. I was up till 4am last night and spent all day trying to figure this out. We were suppose to go to a lake party today and I have completely lost any desire, not to mention it is too late to go now. My family is disappointed and I feel like a screwed it up. In addition, we will lose tomorrow and I am going to have to see about getting the boat to the dealer. Who knows when they will tell me I can bring it in.

Just one other small note. I installed the air temp probe that came with the depth finder. It was a simple two wire connection with marked wires. I undid the wires and still no luck (obviously).

I know I cannot get mad at the dealer. But, a service guy was on the premises and I asked the person who answered the phone to have him call me. I never received a call. Plus, it would of only taken him 5 minutes to hook up a diagnostic computer and at least give me a clue. I guess he was so busy that he never got to take a piss today. I guess that I should expect nothing but "standard" service from them.

Thanks for your information and help bigmac!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
For what it is worth, I did this same installation on my 2004 197 this spring. I have 2 observations from your comments.
1. I get a depth reading of 0.5 when the boat is sitting on the trailer, but it works amazingly well at the lake. Much better then my aftermarket gauge worked in my PS205.
2. I followed the "factory" instructions for the add on that came with the depth gauge and the control module for it. I never had any ECU message on my display throughout the process.

This makes me wonder if something has died during the install either of its own accord, or because of an accident during the installation.

Good Luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

Steve

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!