Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-19-2005, 10:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2 Switch Blue and White
Interior Cleaning

As a "new" owner, I wanted to get feedback on the best solutions to clean the vinyl, carpet and other interior parts. I will be bringing home my 2002 PS 209 next week and was going to give her a fresh coat of wax (suggestions appreciated) and a good interior cleaning.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:53 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
, Show off!! J K,

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 02-19-2005, 10:54 AM
_JR

For me...

1. Carpet - Tide and a SMALL amount of bleach...add to bucket of water and then using a long-handled brush scrub in. Rinse well. This gets rid of most stains that I have come across, plus the carpet smells NIIICE! (Caution - too much bleach is a BAD thing!)

2. Vinyl - I use the heavy duty 409 spray. Not much that I have come across that it will not remove. Might take some elbow grease to remove tough stains, but it will get the job done. After cleaning with 409, I then apply some of the 303 Protectant on all vinyl in the boat. This stuff is amazing. I usually apply the 303 3-4 times a season.
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

3. Wax - I use Zaino wax on all my rides, both land and sea.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Congrats on the new vessel, and enjoy your spring cleaning!
Old 02-19-2005, 02:40 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Just for the record (and I'm not saying it won't work, but ...) 409 is on MC's list of no-no products. Again, it's just my opinion, but a little tide and warm water will work well on the vinyl (just don't put bleach in it for the vinyl like you do the carpet). I'd agree that 303 is a must. Get a huge bottle of it; you'll always need it.

Congrats on the new boat. Get some pictures up soon.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 98 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by _JR
For me...

1. Carpet - Tide and a SMALL amount of bleach...add to bucket of water and then using a long-handled brush scrub in. Rinse well. This gets rid of most stains that I have come across, plus the carpet smells NIIICE! (Caution - too much bleach is a BAD thing!)

FYI I am sure this works great, but make sure your ventilated or the clorine will form a potentially fatal gas when mixed with tide.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:30 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Just for the record (and I'm not saying it won't work, but ...) 409 is on MC's list of no-no products. Again, it's just my opinion, but a little tide and warm water will work well on the vinyl (just don't put bleach in it for the vinyl like you do the carpet). I'd agree that 303 is a must. Get a huge bottle of it; you'll always need it.

Congrats on the new boat. Get some pictures up soon.

ET Skier and JR

Thanks for the feedback. ET, you mention a list of no no products. Do they have a list of recommended products? I don't yet have the owner’s manual, and haven’t yet reviewed the owners manuals posted on the MC site. Speaking of on line owners manuals, do you know if they post the 2002 manuals anywhere? Please advise.

I'll post some pics following her spring cleaning next weekend
Old 02-20-2005, 09:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Doug is correct 409 is not recommended for Marine Vinyl. It use to say it on the bottle, it still may. Fantastisk can be used with a coat of 303 afterward. There is a product called Vinyl Finish, it is a cleaner made by or for GT Vinyl the maker of the vinyl. It can be ordered through your local Larson or Glastron dealer. This is the best stuff I have used and it even works on your tennis shoes. Monday I'll edit in the part number because most dealers don't know it or want to look it up. I then use 303 after cleaning for protection.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:47 AM
_JR

Guys, thanks for the tip on the 409...

My experience with ANY chemical based cleaner/degreaser is to use it sparingly and to not let it sit on the material being cleaned...I have heard that 409 will damage the threads used to stitch the material together, but not specifically the vinyl. I spray the 409 on a rag and then scrub the dirty material, and have not had any problems to date.

With your input, I will toss the 409 and look for a replacement!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by george
Doug is correct 409 is not recommended for Marine Vinyl. It use to say it on the bottle, it still may. Fantastisk can be used with a coat of 303 afterward. There is a product called Vinyl Finish, it is a cleaner made by or for GT Vinyl the maker of the vinyl. It can be ordered through your local Larson or Glastron dealer. This is the best stuff I have used and it even works on your tennis shoes. Monday I'll edit in the part number because most dealers don't know it or want to look it up. I then use 303 after cleaning for protection.
George,

Are you buying the VF in the DFW area? If so, where? I know that West Marine has the 303, and I plan on going their Monday.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:41 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO
ET Skier and JR

Thanks for the feedback. ET, you mention a list of no no products. Do they have a list of recommended products? I don't yet have the owner’s manual, and haven’t yet reviewed the owners manuals posted on the MC site. Speaking of on line owners manuals, do you know if they post the 2002 manuals anywhere? Please advise.

I'll post some pics following her spring cleaning next weekend
For the carpet and the upholstery, MC recommends mild detergent and warm water. This has remained fairly constant over the years. I don't think the 02 manual is posted anywhere. I've emailed TTAdmin about posting an older manual (93) that I scanned the other night, but have not yet heard back from him. I think getting the older stuff online is something we ought to work toward. I'd bet that it'd be a lot easier for MC to post these than to copy and mail them every time someone requests one.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.