Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-18-2005, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 - LT1
Engine gurus...

I know that this is a pretty basic question:

I'm getting some intermittent nasty squealing on my '94 LT-1. It happens at startup and then goes away. It also happens on hard acceleration.

It dawned on me this morning to check the belt, and it's pretty loose. I'll tighten it up today. The alternater spins freely. Am I looking at a new water pump? How do I diagnose this?

Thanks,
KWP
Old 02-18-2005, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 1989 w/ Chevy Big Block 454
Send a message via AIM to Ski-A-Rees
I not sure about your pump but somone beached my boat and I had to replace the water pump because it picked up sand and killed the pump! I bought my new pump on ebay for pretty cheap though if thats what you need.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
When is the last time the belt was replaced? More than likely the belt is old and dry. That combined with it being loose and the belt will slip creating the squeel. Mine was doing the same thing. Ordered a new belt from SkiDIM put the new one on at proper tension and the problem was solved. Good luck......
Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

The belt looks very new. I'm going outside to tighten it right now. I'll let you know if that fixes it.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:36 PM
MC Maniac

Mine looked good as well it was just dry. If it has been a couple of years I would change it out and save the one you have as a spare.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1998, LT1, powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
When is the last time the belt was replaced? More than likely the belt is old and dry. That combined with it being loose and the belt will slip creating the squeel. Mine was doing the same thing. Ordered a new belt from SkiDIM put the new one on at proper tension and the problem was solved. Good luck......
I agree. May be simple really and sometimes there is buildup of 'material' on the metal pulley and belt dressing spray will work.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
Brian
Is there a reason to "order" belts from Skidim instead of using regular automotive belts?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

I tightened it up, and the squeal is gone. Thanks guys.

A question, though - is there a good way to really tighten the alternator? I had to put a long screwdriver against it for leverage. Is there a better way?

By the way - Professor, where do you teach? I teach at Chico State.

KWP
Old 02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
kpickett how old is your impeller in your seawater pump? If it is older than a year replace it. We replace them around here every year weather we use the boat a lot or a little. It is cheap insurance.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:05 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:

Is there a reason to "order" belts from Skidim instead of using regular automotive belts?
No. That was just the first source that came to my head. By all means take it off and match it at the auto parts store. I just usually end up ordering all of my maintenance stuff from DIM in one order.