Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft X-2
Question Shaft Rotation?

Should I be able to turn the prop on my '05 X2 by hand when it is out of the water? There has been some talk on the wakeworld forum leading me to believe it should be easy to turn the prop. I haven't tried with much force, but it seems that my prop will not turn very easily. The boat runs great with no vibration, so I think my drive shaft is in good shape.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Leroy

You should be able to, but if the packing is dry it can take some force.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Pull the safety lanyard before you do this. I figure with no key on, it won't torque start, but I've heard rumors of it happening.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM
MC Fanatic

You should be able to turn the shaft freely even with the strut bushings dry. We install VESCONITE bushings ( bushings are white in color ) in the strut that are self lubricated. If the shaft will not turn freely it may be out of alingment causing it to bind.

Eric @OJPROPS
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Yes my X2 turns however not necessarily freely. You can definately turn it by hand but it won't spin like a wheel. It will only turn when I physically turn it myself. In other wors there is some resistance like it is connected to something and not just spinning freely with the wind. And mine only has 6 hours on it.