Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2007, 05:51 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
My granddad owned a couple shipyards and my dad was a naval architect/engineer so, to say I have been on boats my entire life is a literal statement!! When I was 6, my parents bought a house on a lake and a 1986 Commander with a 235hp Outboard. Funny thing was, I was probably the only kid that HATED to go to the lake... I always liked the ocean way more. When I was about 10yrs old, I learned to ski.... I was in love immediately!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuan23
First time I had ever seen an inboard ski boat. 1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes and wanted one ever since then. We had various other boats in the family, but the 92 is the first one I can officially call "mine"
I know that feeling!! Our neighbors got the first MC on our lake... it was a 1995 PS 190 with a black hull and turquoise accent (they still have it). I remember them coming over and asking me if I would observe for them (I was in 8th grade, they were just out of college and married). I was sooooooo stoked, so I jumped from our dock onto the swimstep of their boat... ended up falling straight on my arse and embarrassing myself in front of the hottie of a wife!! From that day on, the 1995-1997 PS 190's were the essence of an MC for me. After working for 3 summers as a deckhand on the ferry, I saved up enough money to buy a reposessed 1996 PS 190 Corvette!! I will never forget the first day I put my new MC on the lake and drove by my next door neighbor's house and waved!!!

Last edited by Sodar; 11-29-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1996, LT1
My fam didn't have a boat, but I was able to acheive addiction non the less....here's how.

1st exp. on a boat= 6 people in a 12' aluminum and my 300lbs uncle was driving in the back. We only had a couple of inchs of freeboard at the transome, so everytime we slowed down water came in As an 8 yr old, I figured we were going down.....needless to say, I destinctly remember knowing exactly how far from shore we were that whole trip.

2nd exp= 13 and D & M payed a guy to take me skiing. Popped right up on the first try and made the quick transition from "every man for himself, she's goin' down" to "can't wait to do that again!" Hook was set.

3+ exp= Rode with and drove on a few friends boats till I was 28 and could afford to buy my own. 18' Mirage runabout. Good boat, but we were going to kill it with what we were doing to it.

Three years ago finally bought the MC and got into hydrofoiling at the same time. Haven't looked back since. Now my 17 yr old drives boat about as well as me I did say "about"!
Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X1
I learned to ski behind a I/O bayliner that a friend of mine had. I popped up on my second try double skiing at age 13. I was hooked on the lake and spent time with my buddy skiing. I actually learned to wakeboard on what looked like two skis stuck together with a pair of sandle bindings behind a jet ski.

My dad bought the family our first real boat in 94. It was a 1989 Ski Challenger we bought for $5K without an interior. The boat turned out to be a lemon who the previous owner had neglected. It had a cracked block just below the intake manifold which produced a milky mix. So after a fixed block and a new interior we discovered that the upper hull was coming lose from the bottom hull and thus I learned how to rivet like a madman. After a summer of fun and hell we sold it. (Irony here is the friend we sold it to still has it and I see it on a local lake on occasion.)

I learned the ways of the world with a 1996 PS205 that we bought in 2000. I bought that boat and aside from upgrades that boat was awesome. I actually sold it and made money. Since then I have had two more Mastercrafts and I plan on keeping the one I have and raising my kids on the water.

Funny, it's almost like ol' Wordsworth owned a Mastercraft!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X10, 2005, MCX
Send a message via MSN to wtrjock Send a message via Yahoo to wtrjock
Moved to Oregon when I was 4 years old in 1977. Dad bought a cheap 1990s Seaswirl with a cracked block. He put a Renault 4 banger in it. The old Seaswirl, we called Little Red, had a hand crank up I/O.

In 1985 my sister and I convinced my Parents to quit smoking. They took the $150/month they were spending on cigarettes to the Boat Show and bought a 1985 Seaswirl 18foot I/O. I adopted the boat about 4 years ago as my parents didn't use it much anymore.

In 2005 we traded in the 20 years old Seaswirl for our 2005 X10. It was a sad day, but also a happy day. It was the end of an era and a start of a new era. I grew up in that Seaswirl. I learned every watersport there was, and even started wakeboarding behind the I/O!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Parents were not boaters.At 12 ,we visited an aunt that was renting a cottage on a lake.The boat had a 40 hp Johnson wich seems like a monster at that time.Got up on my third try ,made around the lake and never skied again until i was 25 behind a friend's cuddy with a 4.3 liters.
Got hooked on skiing,bought a copy of a Glastron SS150 with a Merc 85 hp.Then upgrade to a bigger outboard with a Johnson V4 140.Did a complete restoration of that boat,blew engine twice,change for a Mercury 115, and blew the Merc too!
And finally,left life in the city for living fulltime on a lake.Best decision of my life!!!
Bought my MC in 02 after 12 years of drooling over the backcover of Waterski Mag .
Not much of a boater anymore,much more a skier!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostat 205, 275 hp
My parents have had a lake house at Rough River in Ky since before I was born. I was on the boat when I was two weeks old and been loving it ever since. I learned to kneeboard behind a 17' glastron with a 75 hp johnson outboard. I tried two skies for two summers and could never keep my legs together. Got up on the slalom on my second try and loved it. I got an HO comp SL and had a great time behind the deck boat that replaced the glastron. I learned to wakeboard on a yellow skurfer behind my neighbors boat. I bought a connelly blade runner that winter and never used the ski again. I bought my neighbors 94 205 (first comp boat I had ever been on) two years ago when they decided to sell everything lake related. I then sold it in a year when I came across a great deal on a 99205V. Right after I bought the 205V, I got real lucky and came across a lakefront home for sale that was actually in my price range and the size I wanted. I've been living 80 feet from the water's edge for year now and I can't imagine living any other way now.

1994 Prostar 205
1999 Prostar 205V
Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Hey Soder, Did you ever spend time at any of the lakes in Newberry Springs, CA? I skied there in the early 80's in a Western Regional. Your name sounds very familar.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Parents had/have aq summer cottage on a lake. They couldn't afford a ski boat, so all I had was a row boat, canoe, and Sunfish.

My uncle bought a 18' Regal when I was 11 or 12 and tought me how to ski. I also had friends from church teaching me to ski around the same time. LEarned to Slalom ski a few years later. Tried wakeboarding in 1999/2000 and was hooked. Barely ski'd since.

Bought my first boat in Fall of 2004 - 2001 BU Response. Bought our house on a lake 2 months later (to go with the boat of course)
Sold the BU 2 years later and got the wakeboarding boat I've always wanted, my 2001 MC 205V SWEET!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 TriStar 190
I skied a couple of times in high school with friends but my parents weren't boaters so it wasn't much. Then in college (Georgia Tech) I stayed and went to school the summer of my 2nd year. I was sitting around the frat house one afternoon and one of my fraternity brothers who was president of the ski team said "Hey - want to go to the lake this afternoon?" Sounded good - I was instantly hooked. Started skiing with them 4 or 5 days a week. I could run the course, ride out a jump and ski a (very) small trick run by the end of the summer and started competing on the team that fall and for the next 3 years. It was great fun - the tournaments are about half skiing and half either hanging out at the lake or partying on Saturday night (at least it was like that in the 80s). Made for some rough Sunday morning jumps but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Now I have an old Mastercraft, cabin at the lake and a great family to enjoy it with - I'm unbelievably grateful for our time on the water.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
I'm waiting for the person who fesses up and admits that his Daddy bought him a fully loaded X-star because his buddy had one and they had never even seen someone wakeboard/ski in person.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :