Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Us water sports fanatics seem to be a rare breed...
Yeah, I've noticed! Now, I do have a friend that would go out with me whenever I wanted to go, but he lives in Atlanta and rarely makes it down to the lake. He is one of the friend's whose parents have a lake house that I used to frequent. He had a wakeboard growing up, but he is only about 5'2" with a size 7 foot, where I am 6'3" with size 13 foot, so there is no way I was fitting into his boots. Believe me, I tried. He is built like a professional wakeboarder would need to be built but he never really had a boat that he could develop his skills with and is therefore just behind me with his abilities.

There is one guy that I have seen several times, once behind a SAN 236, an Axis, and another time behind a Centurion. Last time he had a Sea Doo following him while he pulled some pretty crazy tricks. I imagine he was trying to get sponsored, although I am just speculating. He was as good as most of the pros that I have seen. That being said, I wish I knew someone like that to go riding with and get some good tips from to hone me in.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Yeah, I've noticed! Now, I do have a friend that would go out with me whenever I wanted to go, but he lives in Atlanta and rarely makes it down to the lake. He is one of the friend's whose parents have a lake house that I used to frequent. He had a wakeboard growing up, but he is only about 5'2" with a size 7 foot, where I am 6'3" with size 13 foot, so there is no way I was fitting into his boots. Believe me, I tried. He is built like a professional wakeboarder would need to be built but he never really had a boat that he could develop his skills with and is therefore just behind me with his abilities.

There is one guy that I have seen several times, once behind a SAN 236, an Axis, and another time behind a Centurion. Last time he had a Sea Doo following him while he pulled some pretty crazy tricks. I imagine he was trying to get sponsored, although I am just speculating. He was as good as most of the pros that I have seen. That being said, I wish I knew someone like that to go riding with and get some good tips from to hone me in.
+1 on that.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, LT1
I learned to ski behind a Glastron with a Johnson 90 in the intercoastal waterway in Miami Fla. in the early 80's. I became a water skiing instructor for a summer camp during the mid and late 80's. Met some great people on Lake Lure NC and I skied behind a friends PS 190 while working there. I've been hooked ever since.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Fun thread. Grew up in Florida and was lucky enough for the family to have a 19' Chris-Craft I/O that I learned to ski behind (junior high / high school.) At the same time, a friend had a '81 (or so) Stars & Stripes that I spent lots of time behind as well. I loved his boat and that really got me hooked on the brand. We sold the boat when I went to college (Clemson), but our ski team / ski club has a pair of Mastercrafts that we used on Lake Hartwell. That was a blast to ski there (in the club - not on the team) behind those boats - some fond memories. Then after that, I went year and years without getting back on the water. Then in 2011, my family and I were working in South Africa and found a ski school close to us on a private lake in Johannesburg (Ski Nautique dealer) where I got back into the slalom course and my two young kids put on skis for the first time. They got up on the boom and then on the long line and did great. That got the bug going again, after all those years, and when we got back to thes states last year, we picked up our '93 ProStar and had a great summer on Kansas City area lakes. Now we're just waiting for winter to depart so we can start our season again!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190
Just wish I could convince my dil that skiing is not "dangerous" as she's pounded into her kids. She was actually angry that my granddaughter got up on skis! But tubing is fine, although she's worried about the rocks! I told her the boat will hit the rocks before the kids will and that's not going to happen! Their family never did anything by water, snow or anything. Now my son comes up alone with the kids one or two weekends a summer and they are starting to bring friends, too, so hopefully that will help! They are so afraid, except for my granddaughter, that they can't get up! They watch me ski and I hope I make it look easy. Trying to get the next generation addicted like Grandma is!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
I got into board sports early, skateboarding and snowboarding since I was a kid. I didn't get into wakeboarding until a few years ago. I started behind my buddy's '04 Nautique. So by end of '11 water season, I started looking at wake boats. I really only looked at CC and MC as those were the only two he recommended. Ended up with a '99 205v.

2 years ago, I was talking with a coworker about how I was looking at boats. He asked what I wanted to do with it, and I told him wakeboard. So he said, "Oh, like a fish and ski?" I replied, "No. I couldn't care less about fishing. I only want to wakeboard behind it. I'm not interested in an outboard or even an I/O." He just gave me a puzzled look. He couldn't fathom why I wouldn't want a fishing boat.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I started skiing at the age of 8. At age 10 we moved to the water and when I was about 15 my dad bought our first MC. A 76S&S that he/I kept until a few years ago. I grew up on the slalom, jump and my bare feet. My kids like wakeboarding so we moved to the v-drive a few years ago. One of them has learned to foot and now wants to learn to slalom as well. At least that is a sport that I can help him with. I can't give much advise wakeboarding since he is much better than I am.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post

There is a great instructor on Lake Tuscaloosa that I could hook you up with. He is already taking bookings for the year and fills up pretty quickly.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '02 X-Star. Previous: '98 SportStar, '89 ProStar
I was on the ski team in college at Tennessee. MC gave our team a new boat every year...pretty sweet deal.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 4.21.22 PM.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  18.0 KB

In the summer of '02 I was hired by MasterCraft and given the best summer job in the history of the world. I was tossed the keys to the Pro Tour X-Star and a Cadillac Escalade EXT and I pulled the boat to the Tour stops. Here was my "rig":

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 4.21.40 PM.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  19.5 KB

In just the month of July that year, I drove something like 7,000 miles and hit 19 states. I worked the Team MasterCraft VIP tent at the events, met tons of pros, watched great riding, partied when necessary and had one of the two most memorable summers of my life.

Needless to say, it got into my bloodstream pretty heavy that year. I've since owned two MC's and will never own something else.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
I got into board sports early, skateboarding and snowboarding since I was a kid. I didn't get into wakeboarding until a few years ago. I started behind my buddy's '04 Nautique. So by end of '11 water season, I started looking at wake boats. I really only looked at CC and MC as those were the only two he recommended. Ended up with a '99 205v.

2 years ago, I was talking with a coworker about how I was looking at boats. He asked what I wanted to do with it, and I told him wakeboard. So he said, "Oh, like a fish and ski?" I replied, "No. I couldn't care less about fishing. I only want to wakeboard behind it. I'm not interested in an outboard or even an I/O." He just gave me a puzzled look. He couldn't fathom why I wouldn't want a fishing boat.
LOL... good story...- I that look when I tell people I ski when the water is 50 degrees...