Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
My parents bought a cottage in Ontario in the late 60's. I learned to ski on a neighbour's wooden Peterborough with a 35horse Johnson. We eventually bought our own 16' Chrysler boat & 55hp motor combo. That was a lemon, so after a few frustrating years, we bought a bowrider with a 130hp volvo i/o drive in '76. They traded that for a pontoon boat after they retired. We were living in Vancouver BC at the time, so purchased a '91 20' bayliner bowrider with a merc 4.3l in 1995. Not a great boat for the ocean, but we picked the calm days and had some great trips including having a pod of killer whales swimming under the boat as we watched. Mum and Dad gave us the cottage about 10 years ago, so eventually the bayliner made it to the cottage from Vancouver. We sold the 21 year old bayliner last summer and bought the X-14V in the year end sales.

We currently own the X-14V, an aluminum fishing boat, a 16' catamaran, two windsurfers, a canoe, kayak, and pedal boat. That's still too much even though we just sold the little 10' fibreglass 35hp 'racing' boat that the kids used to blast around the lake.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I'm a new, first-time owner having just bought an '07 ProStar 197TT in August. My wife and I both grew up sailing--me in coastal Florida and the Bahamas while she and her family lived aboard their boat for several years in the Med and then the Caribbean. Although neither of us had owned or had a previous desire for powered craft, our friends invited us out for skiing/kneeboarding on their PS197 on the local Charlotte lakes.

As I was thinking to myself, "Gee, this is great fun for all of us" (we have three kids), my wife leaned over and said, "We should get a boat." So we made the decision last summer to start looking, and after lurking on various sites for the past year, reading and watching prices, I found a deal this summer that has proved to be pretty great.

Although the boat is a bit high on hours (640) and has a few blemishes, it's only needed a few odds and ends and some fresh TLC. I've learned a TON on this forum, but most of all, feel SO much better about some of my rookie mistakes (forgetting to double check the drain plug, lunching a prop) having read that I'm not alone. Each mistake makes me a better boater.

Now we'll spend the winter honing our launch and handling skills so that we can really enjoy the water as soon as at warms up (around April). I want to learn to slalom and wakeboard, as well as to get my kids up off their kneeboards.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
We started going to lake Powell in 83. Went three summers in a row for a couple weeks each summer. "Ski" boat we had was a v6 marlin. Fast but no torque lol. Was a time share setup so just a rental. Anyways plans were made to get our own boat and we settled on an mc -- even got the tow package on the truck to pull it. But boat never happened. I grew up and was always sorta looking for an mc at the right price and this last August I found the 84 s and S. Powerslot, former marine world boat. Bought it, repaired the prop strike damage and now I have the mc I always wanted. Now gotta learn how to slalom. I know that sounds funny having a badass slalom boat and not knowing how to slalom but that is the way life goes sometimes lol. At least I have the boat! And I have a few skis.

Last edited by strad; 11-30-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190
My parents and grandfather bought a lot on Wheeler Lake in WI, put a trailer on it, bought a 16 ft Starcraft with the standard 40hp Johnson on the back. I got up behind it the first try at 7 years old, slaloming the following summer and never looked back. Made lots of friends around the lake through the years, taught a lot more to ski, rode the disk, the shoe skis, and had lots of fun. We bought the biggest boat on the lake, a 155hp Evinrude tri-hull (huge beast) from a neighbor when I was in 8th grade. We pulled 9 and 10 skiers behind that boat, people on the lake still talk about that! Fast forward past first marriage and 2 kids....second hubby and I bought a lot on the same lake and built a cottage. After a pull behind a friend's boat hubby realizes how much I like to ski and feels like he's letting me down So we go buy a '95 Sugarsand Jet boat and I ski behind that and we submarine it and have a blast with it. Nice, soft wake to hit, LOVED to ski behind that thing! Fast forward 4 years and too much water getting in the engine and too many pounds put on it's getting harder to get up slalom behind the jet. I come across an ad for a '89 190PS for $11,000. I say to hubby "let's go see just what you get for $11k, what shape it's in". He had to call the bank that morning and tell our banker "Karen's in a Mastercraft and she won't get out, I need money"! The rest is history. We still have that same boat. 2 summers ago my granddaughter got up on the boom, so proud!!!! She went running up to the cottage and announced to Grandpa "I beat Grandma, she was 7 when she learned to waterski and I'm 6!" In September I had my right knee replaced and 2 weeks ago my left one was replaced. My surgeon is calling me his "model patient" as my rehab is going so well. He says "well maybe, on glass" now when we discuss skiing-I know he's paying attention as he's using my jargon. I think all my years of skiing has helped tremendously toward my rehab, keeping me flexible and active. many think it's a lot of pounding on the knees, and maybe yes, but it has it's positives also. And all those friends I made when I was younger....all have cottages on the lake yet and we all ski together yet. 2 MC's and a SN. And, we'll be tailgating at the Packer Game Sunday together. Lifelong experiences happen around the lake!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Both my wife and I have grown up on boats, each of us at opposite ends of the spectrum. She with powerboats on the local waters and I with sailboats on Lake Erie. We both went through the PWC fad with stand ups and sit downs (she pulled me on skis behind my stand up js550 once just to see if it could be done). We (the two of us) even got up on one pair of skis together. The MasterCraft came this past June when our two boys talked us into a boat after a few years without one. What we ended up with was not the first pick, I had a 1200 hr '93 PS190 lined up for $7800 and had a dealer in Raleigh check it out for me and I was told it needed a motor, that soured that deal immediately. So, I checked Craigslist in Raleigh and there was our new boat, original owner 1988 PS190 with 900 hours, all service records even original bill of sale. ( I spoke with Diego his mechanic). He was selling to buy into a club boat. Sent the man a deposit, loaded everyone up and drove the 10 or so hours to go see it (we were heading to the outer banks for vacation anyway so this little detour was worth it). This boat had a garage space since new, we were told his wife had not parked her car in the garage since the boat came home, and its condition showed it. After the test drive and exchange of funds the former owner was very sad to see a big part of his life get towed away by a stranger. Thank You Mike, we will take good care of her. This spring I think I can get Historical plates for the trailer.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 215
It all started for me when my dad decided that it was time to get another boat in 1972. When he returned from the service he and my uncle had a wooden Criss Craft on Lake Erie and he had always wished to get back on the water. We had moved away from Lake Erie so he decided a trailerable boat was in order. He found a 16' Mark Twain with a 110 Hp Merc that we all learned to ski on. As the family grew we moved up to an 18' Sea Ray (115 HP Merc) that was used primarily for skiing. We added a pylon and skiied the inland lakes in Ohio from April until the end of October. After running the life out of the '76 Ray we moved up to a 1985 Sea Ray powered by a 260 HP Mercruser. I would enroll in summer classes at Kent State just so my buddies and I could ski as much as possible at West Branch. We even would run that boat through a portable slalom course until the rangers would chase us off the lake. I had always wanted a true tow boat but the boat had to pull family duty as well as drag us around the lake. After my Dad's passing we ran the boat until 2008 when my wife and I purchased our Maristar 215 to fill our need for more space for our growing family and their friends. We have taught our kids and countless friends to ski, board, and even tube behind this boat. When the wife and I were planing a major trip to see the large National Parks in the west, my daughter was disappointed. She said if we go to Yellowstone that means we won't be able to spend a couple of weeks at the lake. I guess the family tradition and love of the water that was started by my father has been passed on to another generation.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I grew up going to friend's lake houses. My dad bought a 1987 4 cyl, 135hp, io ski boat which at the time we loved. I never really got into skiing too much and one day in HS, I decided to learn to slalom behind our sea doo. I dropped a ski and away I went, until I fell and was forced to learn to deep water start. Thankfully, I was able to get right up and make it safely back to the dock. I also used to love to knee board and never was that great but probably above avg. my parents would not buy a wake board for me b they were so expensive and I didn't have the money so I never got into it until about 5 years ago. A friend had a gekko ski boat and we learned together the basics of wakeboarding. Since then I bought two sea doo speedsters which was okay but I got bored and wanted more room. At the end of the summer of 2012 I found a great used 94 PS 205, which I now have. I have not gotten to spend too much time in the boat this far, but plan to make many wonderful memories in the boat and start to learn some more advanced wakeboard tricks, like an invert of some sort. I do pretty well when learning from someone else but unfortunately I have no friends at my lake that are that good. Practice practice practice though. I just got ballast bags for Christmas so let the bigger tricks begin! Unfortunately now that I am in my 30s, I am not as lumber and willing to try something crazy as when I was in HS. Go big or go home!

Last edited by CC2MC; 12-22-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I grew up going to friend's lake houses. My dad bought a 1987 4 cyl, 135hp, io ski boat which at the time we loved. I never really got into skiing too much and one day in HS, I decided to learn to slalom behind our sea doo. I dropped a ski and away I went, until I fell and was forced to learn to deep water start. Thankfully, I was able to get right up and make it safely back to the dock. I also used to love to knee board and never was that great but probably above avg. my parents would not buy a wake board for me b they were so expensive and I didn't have the money so I never got into it until about 5 years ago. A friend had a gekko ski boat and we learned together the basics of wakeboarding. Since then I bought two sea doo speedsters which was okay but I got bored and wanted more room. At the end of the summer of 2012 I found a great used 94 PS 205, which I now have. I have not gotten to spend too much time in the boat this far, but plan to make many wonderful memories in the boat and start to learn some more advanced wakeboard tricks, like an invert of some sort. I do pretty well when learning from someone else but unfortunately I have no friends at my lake that are that good. Practice practice practice though. I just got ballast bags for Christmas so let the bigger tricks begin!
Us water sports fanatics seem to be a rare breed...
Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Wow, this thread is great!!wish I had pictures.
My first one was a "Fabuglass" 14ft with a 35 hp merc and upgraded to a 50hp Merc. then I graduated to a 15ft. Reinell with a 65hp Merc and upgraded to a 90hp Evenrude. I have always loved the sound of the "old" Nautiques, and was fortunate to come across a 1980 Nautique in '09. Well it bugged me enough that most of my friends had Mastercrafts so I started looking. I came across a 1998 Prostar 190 a month ago and wound up buying it. I'm going nuts with winter coming on and not being able to get this boat wet.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
When I was in college I was fortunate to have a friend who had some cash and liked boats. I learned to slalom behind his 16' Banshee with a 110 outboard. Then he upgraded to a DeltaCraft with a 135, then to an early 80's S & S. We spent many memorable hours in and behind that boat.

Then I moved away, had a couple of jobs, did some more schooling, got married, eventually had kids, and decided it was time to pass on the watersport tradition to them (and get my ski legs back in shape. ) First it was a TriStar, then an X5, and now the X2.

I mostly ski and just purchased a surfboard which I'll give a whirl come summer. The boys ski, kneeboard, and wakeboard.