Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-16-2005, 02:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Teak transom saver

So I bought a piece of teak at the lumberyard and had the guy rip it at an angle and viola two transom savers at ľ the price. Now Iím looking for some advice on mounting it, where and how.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
The 209 has a transom that sticks out and gets scuffed up regularly by newbies. I figure the saver needs to be even with the outermost part of the transom to be effective. Do I leave the saver straight or do I curve it to match the contour of the transom?

If I curve it, it will cross over one of the teak platform joints. Will that be a problem with cleaning, oiling and maintenance or should I just ignore it?

How should I attach it? I was going to use countersunk SS wood screws, but then I thought about SS through bolts. West Marine sells teak hole plugs. I could put plugs in to cover the countersunk screws. Or will I regret that at some time when I might need to remove the transom saver?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:24 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
How about putting the screws thru from the bottom up. Then the screws will only show to the fishes.
Drill a slightly oversive hole thru the platform then clamp the saver in place and transfer the holes into the saver and predrill blind pilot holes.

Keeping it straight will probobly look better IMO.

Last edited by ski_king; 02-16-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
whats the deal with these transome savers? are they supose to keep idiots from wacking the transome with there skis of wakeboards?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayderwin1
whats the deal with these transome savers? are they supose to keep idiots from wacking the transome with there skis of wakeboards?
Yeah.......how is a piece of wood only 1" high going to keep the tip of a ski from hitting the transom??? I like the clear plastic thing I saw on here better.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I would put both on. Never to much protection from some idiot who knocks the fiberglass.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:12 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I havent had much problem with this as I usually put my ski on in the water or on the dock if I am doing a dock start. When I do put the ski on when on the platform, I make it a point to keep the ski away from the boat.
I can see with wakeboards and some of the newer binding, it may be close to impossible to get in the bindings in the water, so I can see where the transom saver is can help.
I can also see where the clear plastic sheets can save scratches, but I am not sure if it will protect it from a good whack.

My boat has the tie up eyes or lifting eyes, what ever you call them right above the platform and seem to protect the transom, no scratches or nicks yet, maybe I have been lucky.

Are there transom protectors available for the fibergalss platforms?

Last edited by ski_king; 02-16-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:58 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Dan, I received a transom saver as a gift from a very generous board member. I attached it with composite, rust-proof decking screws. I drilled pilot holes from the bottom of the platform and attached it to match the curvature of the piece of platform closest to the transom. You can't see the screws and it looks fantastic. I used enough screws all the way across so it doesn't have gaps. I have never had a concern about it coming lose.

I oiled everything up before installing it.

Many thanks to my benefactor.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Mine is mounted like Dougs on my boat from the dark side. See photos in profile. I use mine to rest the front edge just behind the tip of ski against when I am putting it on that way it won't slip towards the boat.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
Here is a picture of the one on my boat.