Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-16-2005, 09:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
Fuel filter replacement

i have a 86 ps190 and i think its about time to replace the fuel filter and water seperator

so my question, is the fuel filter and the water sperator the same part and what kind is a good one for a 351 PCM motor?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:38 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
J

Not sure what one your year takes but if you call DIM will fix you up

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1063

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 02-17-2005, 02:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
J,

Did you call them? I hope it helped.

Now, if I can hijack your thread a while. In my owners manual I am told to, among other things, clean fuel tank pick-up, (100hrs). I plan to do that this spring along with the tune up and filter changes. In the manual it makes no mention of a gasket or rubber seal. Should I have one on hand when I take this thing apart?

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
I also recommend SKIDIM or Rambo marine. Speaking for the '87 Prostar 190 with Indmar 351 I know the fuel separator looks exactly like the one in the upper left corner of the SKIDIM post that MarkP provided and the filter that hangs below the fuel pump (which is located on the front left [when viewed from the rear of the boat] part of the engine) looks exactly like the picture below it in the post. I believe the '86 was the first year for the Indmar so I would guess these are the two you need.

I generally don't replace the fuel separator every year but I do replace the filter for whatever that is worth. I guess I have not looked in the manual to see what they recommend.

If you chose to go to another source I believe the fuel filter is referred to as a Carter 3?? element.

Lance
Old 02-17-2005, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
Thanks for the info Lance i was thinking it was the one in the upper left corner too but i was not sure. i almost bought a 85 MC S&S from Rambo Marine in Alabama but they wanted about the same price as the 86 i bought and the 86 i bought was in 10 times better shape than the 85 i almost got. i guess any time you buy from a dealer it will be more expensive.