Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft,ps190,1991
drysuit how to???

I have a question about dry suit. I have read that you must put on the dry suit carefully. Can someone explain this? Thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Seals can tear

Most drysuits have Latex seals for the wrist, ankles, and neck. The seals are very tight to keep the water out, and if you are not careful putting it on, you can tear the seals. They make lubricant to make them slide on a bit easier, but you still need to be careful.

Hope this helps.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Baby powder helps. I just point my toes and pull very evenly. Don't reach your fingers underneth and pull hard. Most important...don't let anybody else wear it. I still wear mine...I bought it in 1992 and have worn it in a show for 2 years in Germany. It has seen it's day and still rocks. It's all about how you take care of it. Did I mention that you should never let somebody else wear it? At least you will know who to blame if a seal gets blown. Also buy AquaSeal! It works great on seams!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 06 X-30 MCX
If the water is that damn cold get out the snowboard or sled.

J/K. I know you guys like to extend the season and not everyone lives in warm climates like those riding with gators guys. Rule of thumb for me, if the driver and third need cold weather gear ... it ain't botin' weather

Why yes I do love a rampy wake with a firm lip. Thanks for asking.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
I ski from April to November. In April the water is usually in the 40's. We have adapted a rule of 100. So in spring, when the water is in the 40's, it needs to be close to 60 air temp to break out the boat. In fall, when the water is still dropping from the summer highs, we may ski when the air is in the 30's and the water is in the 60's. There is definately sweat shirts and sometimes winter coats on the boat. My boat has both a heater and a shower. I do not own a dry suit, but you can warm up plenty quick with a wet suit filled with hot water from the shower. In fact, you stay pretty comfortable even in the cold air temps with the wet suit on. Now changing... that's another story.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:23 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Dry suits are great. They do indeed extend the season and are great on those semi-nice fall or spring days where the air temp is moderate but the water is in the 50's (although we have been skiing while there was blowing snow - THAT is a uniques experience). They're about as easy to put on as a wet suit, but you don't have to get undressed in the boat, and you don't have to be wet when you take it off then get redressed in something warm. Best of all, they avoid that 90-second shock of cold water when you first get in. And they do allow you to ski or whatever at a time when there are no other boats on the lake.

You do have to be a little careful with the seals. The BFI suit that I have has heavier seals than normal. They're very robust, but they are tight and harder to put on. Talcum powder helps, but talcum powder all over the boat is problematic, so I use some silicone spray or oil on the hands and wrists, ankles so they slide on easier. After using it, I spray the seals down with some 303 protectant and bees wax the zipper.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

I have a BFI suit as well. Great suit, but was a pain in the A** to get on and off because of the thicker rubber on the seals. I use KY Jelly on the seals and they slip right on and off. Safe for Latex obviously and water soluable.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoFooter
I have a BFI suit as well. Great suit, but was a pain in the A** to get on and off because of the thicker rubber on the seals. I use KY Jelly on the seals and they slip right on and off. Safe for Latex obviously and water soluable.
KY - good ideal. Eastie and UMP would suggest Astroglide.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 PS 197
Storage of the suit is important also so the seals do not dry out.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft,ps190,1991
Thanks for info guys. One more question - lifejacket inside or outside the suit?