Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-14-2005, 01:37 PM
benclark

bow vent for 1985 M/C

I am trying to find a bow vent for my 1985 M/C that I am restoring. All is complete but need the bow vent.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Good luck
Very hard to find item! I have a friend that is a pattern maker and I have been talking to him about making a run of misc. plastic parts for our year boats. these would include vents bow,stern,and possibly the dash pod. These parts are next to impossable to locate.If I get enough intrest in this to cover some of the expense,I will pursue it further.If any one is interested please let me know.My plastic vents are fine but I know that I will need spares sooner or later.You guy's with stars @stripes that in good shape might want spares also.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I have seen these on ebay last year and missed out on them. I was hoping to get one as a spare.
I do have MasterCraft's part numbers for these at home. Might be a long shot, but maybe the factory or a dealer somewhere still has on on the shelf.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 Stars and Stripes
As the owner of an '82 I would also be very interested. I had a grill laser cut from aluminum and painted for the front intake. I made SLA plastic grill (actually 2, I broke the first one as SLA is not all that durable) for the back grill. My dash pod I patched and covered with black vinyl as it was badly chipped and cracked. I also was never sure if it was the original anyway. It doesn't really fit. The fiberglass pod is about 1/4" to wide for the plastic bezel. When I patched it up I adjusted things so it goes on better but it makes me wonder if the dimensioned varied slightly during those years. Something to think about if you try to get tooling made up.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have not fully looked into having these made,or the cost.My friend worked in a production plastic shop for 30 years or so.He is the man to talk to.I will take some pictures for him and get his opinion.I also have not ruled out having a machine shop do a run of all the vents including the engine cover vent,if the plastic doesn't work out.I will repost this thread a couple of times to get a show of hands who might be intrested.The more we make the cheaper it will be.Also "powerslot" can you post up those part#'s.It would be nice to find some just to use for the molds.Thanks

Last edited by Brn85ss; 02-14-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:09 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Looks like the part no. RM-98E. Back in 86 they sold for $15.75.
Give a dealer who will check with the factory a try, you may get lucky.

I have a few old parts catalogs if anybody needs any part numbers or ?
Old 02-14-2005, 09:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brn85ss
Good luck
Very hard to find item! I have a friend that is a pattern maker and I have been talking to him about making a run of misc. plastic parts for our year boats. these would include vents bow,stern,and possibly the dash pod. These parts are next to impossable to locate.If I get enough intrest in this to cover some of the expense,I will pursue it further.If any one is interested please let me know.My plastic vents are fine but I know that I will need spares sooner or later.You guy's with stars @stripes that in good shape might want spares also.
I've thought of a small restoration business, as well. These boats last so long! If you are serious about producing these, you might want to contact MC and see if they still have the injection molds.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the #'s powerslot.If any one is interested Give some feed back.Maybe someone will get lucky and find a wherehouse full of vents?Benclark since you know the #.Maybe you could call dealers all over the country and find your vent.

Last edited by Brn85ss; 02-14-2005 at 11:16 PM.