Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 09:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Underground pet fences?

My transmitter for my Petsafe underground fence gave up the ghost after 8 years of use. Time for a new one.

I am guessing there is something newer/better out there?? What do ya all recommend?

Wire is in good shape...when I installed, I went with the heaviest gauge they sold so just need transmitter and collars.

Our lab figured out its down so he's showing up at the door wet from swimming almost every time he is out.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Petsafe would be my recommendation. Yardmax model is the way to go if you have a smaller yard and want to take advantage of as much room as possible (dog can basically go right ontop of the line before it starts giving him the tone warning). Only downside is that you cannot use a stubborn dog collar with that one.

Had to swap away from the yard max for the stubborn dog collar. Now I am at the point where I need to give my pooch a bigger yard hahaha
Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I just finished installing the basic one about a month-and-a-half ago it can extend up to 5 Acres it says but I am on one-and-a-half and two spools did great. I know you don't need wire. so far so good with the dog he is smart and learns quick and he has a blast outside he's only run through it once and that's because I was going to the mailbox and he was following me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 05-30-2017, 09:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, 214, 2008
second the YARD MAX... Our pup loves it.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
While your upgrading do your dog a favor and upgrade your transmitter in the garage too. The new ones have a GFI built in.

My pup was struck in the middle of the night, sleeping in her bed next to mine in the house, during a lighting storm.

Lightning struck the fence wire in the yard and back fed thought the transmitter and enlarged the signal enough to zap her in the house. The new box now safeguards against such lighting strikes.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
If you need anyone to talk to about the invisible fence system let me know a family friend has is a dealer.. This have lots of new stuff coming out. Even gps fences that do not require unground wires.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
Even gps fences that do not require unground wires.
This I would be curious to see how well it works.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
If you need anyone to talk to about the invisible fence system let me know a family friend has is a dealer.. This have lots of new stuff coming out. Even gps fences that do not require unground wires.
Very interesting. My dog knows where the fence is. When he wants to investigate something out side the yard (like the neighbors cat), he runs parallel to the fence and then turns and darts through the fence line. He knows he will get zapped, but does it anyway. If GPS would continue to zap him anywhere outside the wire, it may help keep him in.

I wonder how the GPS transmitter does on battery life.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
My transmitter for my Petsafe underground fence gave up the ghost after 8 years of use. Time for a new one.

I am guessing there is something newer/better out there?? What do ya all recommend?

Wire is in good shape...when I installed, I went with the heaviest gauge they sold so just need transmitter and collars.

Our lab figured out its down so he's showing up at the door wet from swimming almost every time he is out.

Call Pet Safe-their customer service is freaking amazing. They will give you a refurbish collar for a special price and turn in your old one.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Call Pet Safe-their customer service is freaking amazing. They will give you a refurbish collar for a special price and turn in your old one.
Problem is transmitter not collar. Agree, great customer service....will work with me on cost of a replacement transmitter too

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843