Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Garage Floor Tile- Racedeck or similar

My parents are starting a garage renovation and flooring is the major item.

We originally were thinking epoxy, but since the garage slab is 60+ years old and has multiple coats of paint that would have to be removed, we started to consider something like Racedeck.

The primary benefit would be reduction of prep work, and a secondary benefit would be the fact that their floor "sweats" a lot during temperature/humidity swings that we have in Atlanta. My guess is that the tiles would act as somewhat of an insulator to prevent some of the condensation, and what condensation still occurs would sit under the tile rather than on top so the surface would still seem dry.

Has anyone installed tiles like these? Any tips or heads up? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
My first concern would be with mold since there wouldn't be any airflow between the slab and flooring material.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I also was looking at a tile solution but was afraid of mold too. We get tons of slush from that the cars drag in during the winter and was worried the water would end up under the tile.

My 15 year old epoxy is starting to flake/ peel and I'd like to do something but spending $2K to reinstall an epoxy floor is not going to be in the budget. I'd like to know if there are any options also.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Garage Floor Tile- Racedeck or similar

Acid etch it and paint it with tile clad paint/epoxy. Works great, doesn't stain from oil and daily use. Can be slick though, if you don't have matts down you can mix a little sand in for grit.

Sherman Williams sells it.

As stated will flake after years of use.. Chip up the obvious, acid etch again, reapply. Thicker you paint, longer it lasts.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
jgraham37128

I'm nt sure what my floor covering is called, but it is great. My house was 7 years old at the time but the garage slab was horrible. It has cracked all over the place. The company came in and ground down the top of it. Filled in all the cracks with some goo. Came back the next day and layed down a couple of coats of something, then got a 5gallon bucket of small chips and started slinging it all over the floor. They went to lunch, cam back and swept all the loose chips off and back into the bucket. Then all the chips left stuck to the floor the came back in and layed down three coats of clear sealer. It's been about 5 years now and it looks just the same as day one. No peeling, no nothing. Looks perfect. It was expensive but I would do it again on my next garage. Everyone that comes to the house talks about it.

I can post pictures when I get back him if it will help.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Most professional grade Epoxy guys here are $3-3.50/ft^2, which includes grinding the surface as part of the prep so it doesn't really matter as much what it looked like beforehand as long as it's generally level and free of oils to start.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Polished concrete looks great if done correctly and the maintenance is minimal
Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
Acid etch it and paint it with tile clad paint/epoxy. Works great, doesn't stain from oil and daily use. Can be slick though, if you don't have matts down you can mix a little sand in for grit.

Sherman Williams sells it.

As stated will flake after years of use.. Chip up the obvious, acid etch again, reapply. Thicker you paint, longer it lasts.
+1 Dont forget the H&C Etching solution. To get rid of efflorescence ... haha I spelled it right
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
I have Race Deck installed in my motorcycle garage/shop and I have no issue with sweating (I live in southern Louisiana so we have a lot of humid days/weeks).