Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 06-17-2007, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x-15
Unbelievable I think?

Saw some thing yesterday that I couldn't believe. A man with 4-5 children in his wakeboard boat was setting up to take off with a young child on or at least very short person on a wakeskate/surf board . Short line very close to platform.... Maybe 6-8 feet. I am looking at the platform and bubbles are comming up just like mine does when I have the motor on. With the child balancing the board on the platform he puts it in gear and takes off! I would never put my children that close to the prop inboard or not. The way the child was pushing on the platform if they slipped or it accidently went in reverse there could have been a tragedy. Am I nuts?; or is this standard practice. I told my son; If he is ever in a boat where the driver does this to have him drop him off at the nearest shore and call us.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I have seen tons of people start surfing from the platform. If you have a driver that knows what they are doing, there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Kids, very unpredictible!
Happy Father's Day!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
We don't let anyone on the platform while the engine is running, adult or child. We don't start the engine until the skier in the water has shouted "clear."

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 prostar 190
Send a message via AIM to uawaterskier
i believe when i first learned to ski when i was 3 my mom drove and dad set me on the platform, gave me a little shove, then reeled me out like a fish
99 MB Sports Boss 210 (MINE)
Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
I am with Eastie, everyone and all of thier limbs are in the boat when it is running, even if we need to motor out a little to keep from drifting into shore when we are getting our gear on. Too many what if's.

But many years before we had kids - one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed was one of my buddies who barefooted as he stepped off the platform and when he was done he stepped back on the platform and into the boat. I have never attempted this feat myself.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstitson
Saw some thing yesterday that I couldn't believe. A man with 4-5 children in his wakeboard boat was setting up to take off with a young child on or at least very short person on a wakeskate/surf board . Short line very close to platform.... Maybe 6-8 feet. I am looking at the platform and bubbles are comming up just like mine does when I have the motor on. With the child balancing the board on the platform he puts it in gear and takes off! I would never put my children that close to the prop inboard or not. The way the child was pushing on the platform if they slipped or it accidently went in reverse there could have been a tragedy. Am I nuts?; or is this standard practice. I told my son; If he is ever in a boat where the driver does this to have him drop him off at the nearest shore and call us.
Dayum ... the kid was good enough to start from the platform on a surfboard, thta is pretty good ... I will/would let my kids do it, but I would not do it with someone elses kids (even if they signed a waiver - I still wouldn't do it) ... I'm sure it is not exactly safe, but my brother and a few of his friends start this way off our boat ... the cool part is when they can start from the deck and finish from on the deck ... I don't think you are nutz for being concerned, but I have seen a lot more stupidity in people trying to drop a skier near a dock ... IMO
Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
I don't think it's any big deal.

And anyone who's stupid enough to 'accidentally put it in reverse' is probably gonna hurt/maim their kids one way or another.

Except with young kids, I never shut the motor off between sets.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 197, 2008
What can go wrong, will go wrong.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: x-7 2004 350 vortec
its not bad i do it if u do fall the force of the boat moving forward u will not hit the prop unless i/0 which in that case you should not do period. if the boat go's in reverse your going towards the drivers gf's boobs in the boat. i mean you can get hurt if the driver is a complete moron. your fine. id mainly worry about the flat chested girl your going to hit if u do go into reverse