Old 08-04-2004, 05:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
For those of you who fly

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/...&articleid=711
Old 08-04-2004, 11:28 PM
MC Master Poster

If there were that many air marshalls, etc onboard, why didn't at least one of them go into the can and see if the Syrians had left anything in there? I think it would be interesting for someone to follow up on this story and see what happened when the "suspicious characters" flew back east. Not to be "racist", but when just about every time an attack on the US is performed, it's by Middle Eastern men, between the ages of 18 and 45. It's time to stop worrying about whether we're offending someone by "profiling" and tell the ACLU to start worrying about the majority, not the few whiners who are so thin skinned that any time something bad happens to them, the whole country has to change their life. They won't even let someone with 2 DUI's into Canada from the US so they can go downhill skiing. How much of a national threat is that? On the other hand, at least one of the 9-11 hijackers went through Canada on the way to their final destination without being thoroughly questioned. I'm not saying that Canada should lighten up. I'm just commenting that the ACLU and others like them make it impossible to control the kind of people who cross the US borders, for fear of offending someone. The Constitution was written for the masses(such as the masses were at the time) and not for the few who were overly sensitive.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Jim,
If you are not in politics already, please do so ASAP! I have a feeling you have (been around)! You have my vote!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Jimn for President!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
Agreed Jim, The US has got to tighten up the borders. I would rather upset a few thin skin people, than have another 9/11.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
That's right... tell them to su(k it up & walk it off! Life is meant to be tough - get used to it & quit trying to put pamper's on everything for us!

Come to think of it - quit trying to put pampers on me! (well - I'm not quite old enough for them - yet....)
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:10 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I usually stay out of the political discussions (is that what this is?), but I remember reading a Peggy Noonan article a couple of years ago where she said something along the lines of, If these attacks had been carried out by blonde, forty-year-old women, who dressed in t-shirts and jeans, I'd (she'd) fully expect them to question me (her) every time I (she) stepped on a plane, and I (she) would just learn to deal with it.

I've been pulled out of line twice before one flight, and on several ocassions otherwise. They always want to search me. I guess I look like a trouble-maker. Do I care? No! You know why? Because I don't have plans to do anything other than sit on that plane and drink a bloody mary. Now granted, I'm not a member of what you might call a protected class. And so, some might say, I don't have any reason to be sensitive and I just don't understand. But I'll set the example. Go ahead and search me. I've got nothing to hide, and I understand why they have to do it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
I can say for myself that I would not have a problem with getting stopped every time I boarded a plane if it were white 18-40 year old males doing the terrorizing.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Knoxes

This isn't an issue of racial profiling as much as a risk of abandoning some of the principles on which this country was founded. I think we frequently lack proper foresight with issues like this. We are quick to react to the problems at hand, but rarely look 50 years ahead to see where we'll be then. We also assume too much. Specifically, that white, Protestant, middle class will always be the majority in American and that's not necessarily true. It's entirely possible that "we" (even though I'm not Protestant hehe), become the minority, and having placed legislation or even worse, precident, suffer the same atrocities that we've committed against minorities in this country. Regarding the closing of borders, again we frequently fail to consider the ramifications. The steady flow of immigrants is what made this country successful. We mistakenly assume that all immigrants are uneducated, poor and unskilled and that's simply not true. Many have become very valuable members of the American public. I have several personal examples.

All I'm asking is that we think long and hard before making any decisions based on ethnicity.

<end rant>
Old 08-05-2004, 12:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Knoxes I agree in principle with what you are saying. This is the land of the free and people will always strive to live here, but quite frankly unless you harbor ill fillings for the USA you shouldn't have much of a problem answering some additional questions about what you are doing here. I do this every time I travel to Mexico, UK, EU without much thought as to "are they singling me out". The fact of the matter is I expect people to ask what my intentions are when I am not in the good old USofA. The same should apply to folks traveling on a Visa in America. They are here under the govn'ts permission and it is not their right. There needs to be a balance, but currently the threat is being directed by a very tight demographic. If you happen to fall in the group and are not involved in anything shady then by all means enjoy your stay here in America...if not be on notice that we will be watching you with more eyes than someone from Sweden or Australia.