Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 02-10-2005, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Trailer bunks

I need to change my trailer bunks out this spring,was thinking on using redwood for the replacements ,(I have a bunch extra from a project)curius what every one else is using on their trailers.Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I'm using treated 2x6x12' boards. They're wrapped in olefin marine carpet from lowes. I highly recomend laying a strip of carpet along the top side of the bunk, then wrapping the bunk with another layer of carpet. If you power load the boat onto the trailer, the hull will heat up the carpet fibers and melt them. Just does me good to have two layers.

Also, I'd recommend using your old bunks as a template (or at least to measure) for the bolt holes in the new ones. There's a bit of a twist in the bunks, so you'll probably need a little mechanical advantage (aka "a come back") to get them to line up while you drill and secure the new bolts.

Some of the newer trailers use lag bolts, but mine were tapped topside and secured with nylon locknuts.

It's a good time, with the bunks off, to check your bunk supports for rust. Use stainless staples to attach the carpet. No glue necessary in my opinion.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 02-10-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Ditto on all of Doug's comments. Especially the double layer of carpet. I used fir for my bunks. If you use redwood, I would be concerned about 1) staples will pull out, you will need to use glue 2) the softer wood will be more prone to "punch-through" at the support brackets. My old fir bunks held up for about 10 years before they broke at the support bracket, I would expect much less out of redwood.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments Dan and Doug,I had already planned on using two layers of carpet but I was'nt sure what type of wood to use. Might use some teak for the bow bunks or stops not sure what their called,and glue the carpet on might look kind of cool.

Last edited by Brn85ss; 02-10-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The v-block on the bow was originally composite. I would suggest that you use something extremely sturdy wood there as it has a tendency to crack in my experience.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
The v-block on the bow was originally composite. I would suggest that you use something extremely sturdy wood there as it has a tendency to crack in my experience.

The v-block on my trailer was doug-fir with carpet.I also thought about using high density plastic,my buddy had it on his malibu's trailer and it worked great! My trailer is a v/m not a mastercraft,most of the california trailers under a mastercraft of my vintage have a v/m.At least that I have seen.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brn85ss
The v-block on my trailer was doug-fir with carpet.I also thought about using high density plastic,my buddy had it on his malibu's trailer and it worked great! My trailer is a v/m not a mastercraft,most of the california trailers under a mastercraft of my vintage have a v/m.At least that I have seen.
I have a V/M also. Oak has worked well for the V block. I just apply a little Watco oil once a year.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:14 PM
stevoh20

Just a quick note of warning to those who have the auto locking mechanism for the drive on trailer. My bow bunks split this summer. I decided to replace with 2x6. However, after replacing I found that they pushed my bow ring back just enough so as to prevent the auto lock from engaging.

Kinda defeats the purpose of that marriage saving device at the boat landings !

Anyway, I was told that the split board were "deck boards" slightly thinner than 2x6. I slipped those into position and everything worked perfectly. Not sure if they run deck boards on all my bunks.

FYI...
Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tph
I have a V/M also. Oak has worked well for the V block. I just apply a little Watco oil once a year.

I can't tell from your pic. But did you glue on the carpet for your v-block or put a hem on the carpet and staple it? Looks nice!
Old 02-11-2005, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brn85ss
I can't tell from your pic. But did you glue on the carpet for your v-block or put a hem on the carpet and staple it? Looks nice!
I cut about a 3/8 inch off the edge of the 2 X 6 at a depth of 3/4 of an inch. then I rounded the edges with a router and glued the carpet on.