Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-09-2007, 04:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpliska
I tried greaseing everything...it did not help at all. One thing I did notice, when I was squeezing grease into the rudder shaft grease fitting, it was very hard to squeeze the grease gun handle. I doubt whether or not any grease actually got into the fitting. Is this sign of something wrong in the rudder shaft? I will take the fitting off tonight and clean it, but if I do that and then greasae again, and still there is no improvement, do I have to replace the cable?

I don't understand why a cable would fail. What about having and old cable will make the steering stiff? The calbe seems like the last thing that would go. How Do I know that I don't have a problem in the rudder seal/shaft or in the linkage in front of the rudder or in the rack at the steering wheel?

The fitting on the rudder port only allows enough grease to fill in between the (2) O-rings, (1) @ the top and (1) @ the bottom to lube it and help seal water out. Maybe only 1/2 to 1 squeeze is all it will take.
As far as the cable going bad, if anytime water has been allowed to set in the bilge or if the boat runs with any amount of water in the bilge that the pump did not remove, that water sloshing around in the rear portion of the bilge can enter, corrode and ruin a cable over the years.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 209
And is the cable being corroded the most common sorce of stiff steering? Not the other components?

If so, does anyone have a detailed description of how to replace the cable? I would like to get it done by my dealer, but they cannot get it in for another month, so it looks like I am on my own.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
And is the cable being corroded the most common sorce of stiff steering? Not the other components?

If so, does anyone have a detailed description of how to replace the cable? I would like to get it done by my dealer, but they cannot get it in for another month, so it looks like I am on my own.

Disconnect on both ends, tie a cord, ski rope or some type of strong pull string on one end (your choice), and pull it out leaving the rope in it's place, then reconnect new cable and pull it in with the rope and reconnect. That's the simple/short version, someone may have a better way.

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 209
OK. I got the old cable out, thanks for the tip with tying on a pull string.
My dealership is closed here today, but when I get a new cable, will it come with everything or do I have to order the steering rack and rudder connection seperately?

Is there a place to order parts online? My dealership takes forever to get anything.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:53 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
OK. I got the old cable out, thanks for the tip with tying on a pull string.
My dealership is closed here today, but when I get a new cable, will it come with everything or do I have to order the steering rack and rudder connection seperately?

Is there a place to order parts online? My dealership takes forever to get anything.

You probably only need the cable assembly as that is what is binding up, no need for a steering box or rudder assembly, unless the cable doesn't do the job. You can go to www.mymc.com, Jim@ BAWS or Eric (Erkoehler) @ Chicago Mastercraft or go to www.skidim.com or tomorrow, call them @ 1-803-345-0996 and talk to Richard or Vince. I would talk to them first to sure and eliminate any guesswork online.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-10-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X2
Does anyone know where the fittings are located on a 2003 X2? I am having this same problem and checked the manuals online, but could not find the information. Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Does anyone know where the fittings are located on a 2003 X2? I am having this same problem and checked the manuals online, but could not find the information. Thanks

Did you read post #2? The setup is typical for all boats.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Maristar 240
I was wondering if you ever resolved the issue and if so, what fixed it? I am having same issue on my 89 Maristar 240. I have replaced cable but still hard to steer under power. I have greased all fittings I can find.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:43 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
I tried greaseing everything...it did not help at all. One thing I did notice, when I was squeezing grease into the rudder shaft grease fitting, it was very hard to squeeze the grease gun handle. I doubt whether or not any grease actually got into the fitting. Is this sign of something wrong in the rudder shaft? I will take the fitting off tonight and clean it, but if I do that and then greasae again, and still there is no improvement, do I have to replace the cable?

I don't understand why a cable would fail. What about having and old cable will make the steering stiff? The calbe seems like the last thing that would go. How Do I know that I don't have a problem in the rudder seal/shaft or in the linkage in front of the rudder or in the rack at the steering wheel?
That rudder shaft/rudder port will take very little grease, because there is very little clearance between the shaft and the hole and there is a o-ring each side of the zerk fitting.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 PS 209
Send a message via Yahoo to Maple Leaf
I've got the same problem with my '03 PS209. I greased the three fittings and it loosened things up a bit, but it still requires two handed steering. I confirmed it's the cable by disconnecting the rudder arm and found it just as stiff as when it was connected. I really got ticked when I tried my buddies '04 Nautique and could spin it with one finger.

It seems like there are too many OEM cables failing too soon. Does anyone know of a better aftermarket cable that lasts longer?