Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy08bud
I'm looking for opinions here. I'm looking at the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires and want to hear about any experiences that you have had with either or both of these tires. They are going on my 02 Z71 Avalanche. Any input would be appreciated, I'm kind of torn between the two and have read as much as I can about them, so I'm looking for real world experiences.
Thanks
I can say, I do not think I know anyone with these tires you selected.
I see alot of BFGs, Nittos, and Michelins. Personally, when it comes time for my trucks to get new meats, I'll probably go back to Michelins. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Sounds like there are people on here that like them.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Not that we get a ton of snow around here, but I don't like feeling like I'm driving a 7800# ice skate like I am now. The tires I have are way worn out.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

I do like Michelins as well, just never had them on a personal vehicle. I'm going to check out the tires mentioned above and see what kind of deal I can get on them.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Wranglers. I'm on my 2nd set (different trucks) and love them. 285/75/16 on F350. Also had 235/75/15 on older truck. Bought Firestones once to get a good deal, bad move. Will not buy a truck tire w/o wrangler written on the side. Plus, they look great. Also convinced a co-worked to buy, who is very happy as well.

My best experience was noticing 2 nails in a tire when I was in FL on spring break ~ 10 yrs ago. Not sure where they came from, but I made sure to have them repaired promptly when we got back to OH after the fun week was over. Not a good move on my part young & stupid) - but a good advertisement for the tires...
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Used to run Wranglers on my trucks, then switched to BFG All Terrains for sizing reasons. They seem to wear a little better than Wranglers. I've had great luck with both though. Go for the Wranglers !
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
I know that you didn't ask about the BFG AT's but I'm going to be replacing mine in the next 2 weeks. I have 65K on mine on an Expedition and I didn't really think that truck would sit on any tire for that long.

I'm going with either those again, the Wrangler Silent Armor or the Nitto TG's.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:20 AM
ctehlert

I have the Wrangler SA's on my Sierra, and had AT/S prior to that. The new ones seems quieter on the road, with improved traction in snow and dirt. I got 95K out of the AT/S, but that was with highway miles and frequent rotations. I have about 40K on these, and should get another 40K out of them.

Loved the Michelins on a previous truck as well, but I get the Goodyears at a great price thru a connection and will stick with them.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 197 2004
I would stay away from the Michelins SUV Terrians the tread wear is very poor . I put a set on my wife's Volve XC90 (100% soccer mom car), had them rotated and balanced every 5K miles, 35K miles and all four are down to the wear indicators.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
The GY Wrangleer SA's are supposed to be great tires. No experience with them personally, but I was recently in the market for a set and gave them a hard look. The only negative I could find is that theyre pretty heavy- and most people I asked noticed a decrease of 2-3 MPG.

Other tires I considered were the BFG ATKO, Bridgestone Dueler Revos and Firestone Destination A/T's. The BFG's would last forever and are pretty tough tires- but their onroad wet performance supposedly degrades as they age. The Revo's and Destinations were said to have a better on-road ride, and have good tread life.

I went with the Destinations because they were significantly cheaper than the others, and just as highly rated. Ive only got 2500 miles on them so far, but wet performance, MPG, and road noise are all very good. I love the look too.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

I've heard of people loosing a few MPG using either Silent Armor tire, but didn't know if it was enough to complain about. Have any of you experienced this?