Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Mastercraft prostar 190
Groaning noise at low rpm from prop area?

Long time reader, first time poster.

Have 89 Prostar 190, is making a groaning noise (like bad bearing noise) from prop area. Starts in gear at about 1100 rpms and goes away once your above about 1600 or so.....

This is my first MC. So far so good, just needed some TLC as old owner never used it.

On the trottles control box. The silver button that put the tranny in and out of gear, mine you have to manualy pull it out and push it in to engage tranny. I assume it should be controlled by the ring you pull up on under the throttle knob????? If my assumption (yes, I know what happens when we assume) is correct is there a fix? Or time for a new control? I have the morse MV2 controler if that helps.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Brad
1989 ProStar 190
Granbury TX
Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandis

Have 89 Prostar 190, is making a groaning noise (like bad bearing noise) from prop area. Starts in gear at about 1100 rpms and goes away once your above about 1600 or so.....

This is my first MC. So far so good, just needed some TLC as old owner never used it.

On the trottles control box. The silver button that put the tranny in and out of gear, mine you have to manualy pull it out and push it in to engage tranny. I assume it should be controlled by the ring you pull up on under the throttle knob????? If my assumption (yes, I know what happens when we assume) is correct is there a fix? Or time for a new control? I have the morse MV2 controler if that helps.Thanks in advance for all your help.

Brad
1989 ProStar 190
Granbury TX
As far as the first grinding sound, I'm lost, but,

The silver button on the black base forward of the throttle/gear lever is pulled out so you can use the throttle without it going into either gear forward or reverse yet maintaining throttle function while warming up or on the trailer running it to test/winterize/dewinterize. The black ring, under the throttle/gear ball, requires you to raise it in order for the forward or reversre gears to be used once the neutral button is pushed in.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
some thoughts on the noise.
1. Bushings in the strut. Grab that shaft and give it a wiggle, it shouldn't move more than a hairs width (which hair is subjective)

2. Cavitation. I know sounds odd but these older boats have fairly thin hulls and vibration from cavitation does make some noise at low speeds particularly as you engage and start to push it.

Wish you were here so we could compare our boats noises.

Another thing I replaced on our boat that was a noise culprit was the flex disc.

The old one was a full circle cut into 6 segments around the rim, the new one just a triangle (the other three were removed) since they are only held by bots on 3 of the pucks the other three would vibrate against the flywheel and make a racket.

And you have the answer above about the silver knob.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandis

Brad
1989 ProStar 190
Granbury TX
In most cases. dry strut. Yes, if it wiggles, time to fix or replace strut. Don't run the engine, without water source to raw water intake. Also, don't engage transmission, without pre lubing (PAM cooking spray works great), and then not for long. A turning dry shaft, will quickly ruin the strut bushings.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
don't see where he says its out of the water...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
It wouldn't happen to be a CNC'd prop (Acme or OJ XMP) would it? They've been known to growl a little bit when you come back off plane.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Mastercraft prostar 190
East TX-not sure if it is or not. Dont know how to tell. I know it is a 14x18 with 1 1/8th shaft, 3 blade. How does one tell.

In regards to the silver button on the control box, mine does not work. Those control boxes aint cheap! Can you fix it? I assume either a spring is broke or something on the inside............ I have to manually engage it every time by hand. Pulling up on the black ring does nothing.

No wiggle in shaft, tried the PAM the ETDUC mentioned. Will see next time out if that helps.

88 PS- sounds like we may have the a very similar noise. I will look into the flex disc. Was it an Easy fix? Skidim for new parts?

Again, thanks to you all for your advice!