Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-30-2016, 09:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
Looking for advice on tinting driver and passenger windows

As the title says, I'm wanting to tint the driver and passenger windows of our Range Rover. I'm look for advice on what brand is good and what tint percentage I should go with. I want a good quality product that will last a long time and looks good. I don't want the windows to be too dark either, so something lighter than the rear windows.

If anyone has done the same and can post pictures up that would be great.

Name:  IMG_0735.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  152.3 KB

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
I love lumar film...

35% will be about right.. Lighter than the rear (15-20%)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Around here it is about $48 per side window, $40 for the tint strip at the top of the windshield, lifetime warranty against peeling or fading. (it doesn't cover scratches from keys, rings, pets, or debris in the felt wiper) Make sure you have a felt wiper, my 3-series had a plastic wiper and scratched up my tint, wasn't covered by warranty. A steamer will remove the tint and glue all at once. I went 20% on all my cars. If you have light interior, go darker than 35%. Ohio state limit is 50% which is close to nothing. You can roll the window down to see when backing up if its too dark, no problems.
Attached Images

Last edited by zsqure; 11-30-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Depends why you want tint. If you're primary objective is to keep the car cooler and protect fabrics from UV, then go as light as possible.

A little warning too - dark tint makes backing up at night very difficult. My tint is fairly light and it's still very difficult to see people walking behind me.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 XT23 5500
Not sure of the year, but just by looking I gotta assume that Rover has a backup cam and sensors galore. I wouldn't sweat the night time visibility...and besides the rears are already done, which is the real factor there anyway.

Agree with above post that 35% s/be about right. I would def stick to something 20% or higher. I did 3% once, won't ever again. Pulled over all the time.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker View Post
Not sure of the year, but just by looking I gotta assume that Rover has a backup cam and sensors galore. I wouldn't sweat the night time visibility...and besides the rears are already done, which is the real factor there anyway.
It can still come into play. My car has a backup camera, and in poorly lit areas it is quite difficult to find pedestrians crossing behind you. If they are straight behind, the backup lights ilumminate them and they show on the backup camera, but if they're crossing from the side you can't see them until they're on your bumper. Any good driver will figure it out, but it worries me a little bit if my 16 yr old borrows my car.

My real point is lightly tinted windows work fine for protecting fabric and vinyl or keeping the car cool parked in the sun. If you go for dark tints for cosmetic reasons, just know night vision does suffer. Good drivers will adjust, but not everyone is a good driver.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
I love lumar film...

35% will be about right.. Lighter than the rear (15-20%)
Thanks - I will look into Lumar Film. Are they on par with 3M's products?

Old 12-01-2016, 02:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
Around here it is about $48 per side window, $40 for the tint strip at the top of the windshield, lifetime warranty against peeling or fading. (it doesn't cover scratches from keys, rings, pets, or debris in the felt wiper) Make sure you have a felt wiper, my 3-series had a plastic wiper and scratched up my tint, wasn't covered by warranty. A steamer will remove the tint and glue all at once. I went 20% on all my cars. If you have light interior, go darker than 35%. Ohio state limit is 50% which is close to nothing. You can roll the window down to see when backing up if its too dark, no problems.
Thanks for the info. Nice looking car!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
Depends why you want tint. If you're primary objective is to keep the car cooler and protect fabrics from UV, then go as light as possible.

A little warning too - dark tint makes backing up at night very difficult. My tint is fairly light and it's still very difficult to see people walking behind me.
I'm not to worried about backing up. This vehicle already has dark windows (expect for the drivers and passengers window), plus with the back up camera and warning sensors you have to be a pretty bad driver to hit something.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker View Post

Agree with above post that 35% s/be about right. I would def stick to something 20% or higher. I did 3% once, won't ever again. Pulled over all the time.
I appreciate the advice. I'll thinking 35%-40% should be about right.