Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Houston Home Areas

So, really just exploring ideas. Although my office is in Colorado, we do have our main office in Houston. Every time I've gone there it's warm...sometimes VERY warm! However, if I were to consider moving there, what can I expect? Office is downtown, and from what I hear, most take a bus in from their home. Don't really know where their "homes are" but must be a bit of a distance.

Me, it would stress me out to take a bus everyday and I would prefer to drive. I'd feel a little trapped and just not a good feeling for me. Is this possible?

Obviously considering skiing/lake, are there some nice, decent areas within the Houston area to consider living? I've never been outside the city center (other than airport), do really have no idea. What are some decent, safe areas?

I would rather drive a longer distance so my wife and kids have a safe place to live. 0.5-1 acre would be nice....larger would be better. $500k type home.

Quality Christian high school and a decent, competitive volleyball club would be a perk.

Thanks!

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
You do want to avoid the "bus".

You wont get that acreage for that money. Houston has very affordable homes, but acreage will put you back on the "bus".

May want to look at Clear Lake/League City, which is on Galveston Bay. Good schools and the closest "burb" to Downtown proper.

Tip from a native, the closer you live to work, the more you will enjoy Houston.
Great city, but rush hour is 24/7.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I'd target my home in Lago Santa Fe. Four private ski lakes 1/2 way between galveston and houston...

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...e&postid=30803

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
not totally sure how it relates to where your office is down town ... my daughter and son in law live in Katy and he drives into Houston proper (not sure of exact area) for work somewhere off IH10. You might can move a bit farther out west to get some acreage??? but that might make the drive intolerable.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209
I am a native to Houston as well. There are several private ski clubs and lakes around the Houston area. I would recommend living in the Galleria area or a little west of there. Like it has been said before, you will not get acreage in Houston proper. Check out areas such as Briargroove, Briarmeadow, West University. Unfortunately $500K does not go very far in Houston if you want to stay close to downtown.

As for the schools, most all people that live in Houston proper that can afford a house that you are talking about go to private Christian schools,

Clayton
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
NE Houston, Forest cove area of Kingwood, suburb of Houston will give you some acreage at your price point although slightly older homes, 20 minutes to downtown, hwy 59 North aka IH69 is the best freeway in Houston for commuting currently, and has river in its back yard. Lake conroe, Huntsville and trinity are a short drive away. although no private lakes are close by. Kingwood has many super competitive sports leagues and some of the best schools in Houston.
http://www.har.com/mobile/touch/stat...mlnum=24337645

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 02-26-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
MC Maniac

Great start thanks guys! It will at least give me some areas to explore rather than just looking around blindly. Appreciate the feedback and that driving in would be "horrible" if I were out a bit. Just want my wife to enjoy the home so a little more driving is worth it to me.....

James the Kingwood home looks pretty decent and most of our homes have been fixers anyways. Love the giant mosquito in the bathroom!?!? Does that imply that there are a lot of mosqitos in the area?

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Does that imply that there are a lot of mosqitos in the area?
And cockroaches....Hated those damn things. I guess they come with the warm, humid weather.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 MC View Post
And cockroaches....Hated those damn things. I guess they come with the warm, humid weather.
And so we're on the subject....any of those snake things in the water?!? Nothing like that in Idaho!

1994 205, LT1