Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 04:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Magic jack

Anyone use this? Or something similar. I still pay for home phone and will continue but AT&T is like $35/month. Want to reduce that...

I originally had planned to keep landline to have for emergency, but I think uverse is voip anyway, so no difference btw uverse and magic jack right?
Old 07-24-2016, 04:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Bit different but close enough. uVerse does have 911 support that's based on the account location. uVerse is what I have now and while it's good it's not as reliable as the old land line. Lose power or internet service and you've lost you phone.

I tried ooma a bunch of years ago and it was crap. Never worked right and sounded like I was talking into a drum. A lot has changed since then but you still have the same issues regarding reliability and emergency services. We have a couple guys using this for their work lines and they've had mixed results.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for. On the other side if you don't shop around you'll get taken like a fool.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I had magic jack while I ran my fabrication company. It was ok for calls but didn't handle faxes all that well.

We've been land line free for years now and we've never missed it.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
If you have a cellphone what's the point? Magic Jack uses your home internet which is most likely less reliable than your cellphone.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Kids.
Allows 4 phones to ring all at once in a spread out house
Use it for work some as I like my home headset better, not hard to fix that.
May debate dropping altogether I guess.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:55 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
We had it for a year or so. It works. For kids, there's an IOS app. So our kids could use it with iPod touches. We ditched it when our oldest got a phone. We used Vonage for a year before that. But I basically was trying to ween my wife off of the landline. Once that was done, it was all cell, including the home alarm system.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:42 PM
MC Devotee

Check out Verizon home phone connect..
Old 07-24-2016, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft 197 TT
We had Vonage when we lived in TN. Vonage was fine, though a bit expensive per month. Cheaper than land-line, but still in the neighborhood of $25/mo if I recall correctly.

When we moved to MO in 2006, we bought an Ooma system. I figured my over/under was 7 months. If they stayed in business for longer than 7 months, I more than paid the difference than the monthly fee for Vonage. 10 years later, the system we bought a decade ago is still chugging along. I think I pay annual taxes in the range of $30 / yr. No other charges. They've tried to pitch their premium services, but we haven't bit. I do believe I somehow registered our home address with the E911 service for our home number.

Each of us in the family now has a cell phone. So we really only use it as the phone number we provide for when we expect somewhat nuisance calls; reminder for doctors/dental appointments, library book is in, service calls, campaign contributions, etc. I only have two complaints:
1. When one answers the home phone, wait a half-second before saying "Hello". Otherwise you've started talking before the call really connects. Quality for most calls if very good.
2. This is somehow incompatible with one specific telephone; my dad's. So when he calls our home phone, I wait for the answering machine to be done with his call, then call him back from my cell phone.
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
if you can port your number to google voice IMHO it is just great using that and an obihai. a few options i really like about it are that you can configure the voice mail to txt you a transcription to your cel phone whenever you miss a call. If you setup a blacklist of contacts then whenever you get a robo-call or some telemarketer just add their number in the contacts and they will be blacklisted.
Old Yesterday, 12:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
What's a land line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk