Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Tech Savy Teamtalkers help needed

Teamtalk, I need your help.

My wife found out today that her Facebook account has been hacked and the email address, password and phone number associated with the account changed was changed by the hacker. It seems as if they got into the Facebook account through her old email that was linked to the Facebook account and seem as if they changed her email account information as well because we tried logging into the email account with no luck.

Neither Facebook nor Yahoo have any type of contact information so you can speak with a human and it's very frustrating. I have reported her Facebook to whoever sees that but I'm not sure what that will do. It seems as if neither have a solution.

Facebook wants her to have trusted friends which she never setup however, I was one of her trusted friends, maybe because she is my wife? We can't find out who the rest are.

Any help would be great. We have been googling all afternoon with little answers.

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
Teamtalk, I need your help.

My wife found out today that her Facebook account has been hacked and the email address, password and phone number associated with the account changed was changed by the hacker. It seems as if they got into the Facebook account through her old email that was linked to the Facebook account and seem as if they changed her email account information as well because we tried logging into the email account with no luck.

Neither Facebook nor Yahoo have any type of contact information so you can speak with a human and it's very frustrating. I have reported her Facebook to whoever sees that but I'm not sure what that will do. It seems as if neither have a solution.

Facebook wants her to have trusted friends which she never setup however, I was one of her trusted friends, maybe because she is my wife? We can't find out who the rest are.

Any help would be great. We have been googling all afternoon with little answers.

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Through your account you can report a fraudulent user and tell them what happened. I had someone create a duplicate account of mine and they closed it down pretty quick once I reported it. The key here is to be delicate because I'm sure there are many things on there your wife wants to keep.

Go to her page, click on the three dots on the right below the cover photo, and click report.

That's where i would start.

Good luck!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
On my iPad, under security and login, there is a link to " if you think your account has been hacked". I would try that...

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
you should have another email within your yahoo account that when you forget your password, it will send you a temporary password ... might try hitting the "forgot password" link to have yahoo reset and send you a temp password??? Yahoo also has secondary security associated to a phone number IF you set it up, can also have temp password sent via text message to that phone number.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
you should have another email within your yahoo account that when you forget your password, it will send you a temporary password ... might try hitting the "forgot password" link to have yahoo reset and send you a temp password??? Yahoo also has secondary security associated to a phone number IF you set it up, can also have temp password sent via text message to that phone number.
This is what I would have thought as well. But when I was messing with it last night it kept making us put in the missing digits to a phone number, not an email and we don't know the phone number. The email account that she had setup for her facebook account is what I think they hacked originally to get into her facebook.

It seems as if the hacker changed the phone number on the email address as well. Its really frustration that they companies have no contact number.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:31 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Through your account you can report a fraudulent user and tell them what happened. I had someone create a duplicate account of mine and they closed it down pretty quick once I reported it. The key here is to be delicate because I'm sure there are many things on there your wife wants to keep.

Go to her page, click on the three dots on the right below the cover photo, and click report.

That's where i would start.

Good luck!
Thanks. I have reported it but I'm not sure what facebook will do. At this point we are fine with deleting the account, but we haven't had any luck with anything. This is really showing how the tech world doesn't want to have customer service.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
Thanks. I have reported it but I'm not sure what facebook will do. At this point we are fine with deleting the account, but we haven't had any luck with anything. This is really showing how the tech world doesn't want to have customer service.
I would also inform all of her friends not to open any links sent from her facebook or email.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I would also inform all of her friends not to open any links sent from her facebook or email.
Good point. Im trying not to post anything yet as I don't want to get blocked by the hacker. All I really want to do is close the account and start over. Which facebook makes impossible.

Im still amazed that a company this large has ZERO customer service.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
when the dust settles, enable two-factor authentication

sorry to hear, it's a hassle

2003 X-2 MCX