Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-19-2014, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Torn Rotator Cuff - Advice?

It's official I have a torn Rotator Cuff in my right shoulder and surgery is tentative for December 4th. I realize it's a slow painful road to recovery. I need advice on how to get back to the outward appearance of "normal" as quickly as possible and certainly be back to normal before the season next year.

Is there any key phrases or advice that would cause the doctor to take a more aggressive approach to recovery? Any advice is welcomed about any portion or phase of the whole thing.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
From what I've heard (no first hand knowledge) PT is key. You will get a lot of advice soon - I've read about that recovery on here in the past. Good luck with the surgery and recovery.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: -
Man, really sorry to hear this! I have also heard that PT is the key in this injury. Best wishes for a speedy recovery...
Old 11-19-2014, 04:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
yes, PT is very key!!! My son went thru similar surgery, didn't listen to PT the first time, months later very limited, back to PT, listened 2nd go around but was a longer haul than expected after the fact.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 14 Nautique G21 550
These ice machines are great for the first 2-4 weeks you should be able to rent one.
http://www.gameready.com/
Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
I had rotator cuff surgery two years ago in April and it was not so bad. The best advice I can give you is follow your surgeons orders and do no get to crazy and overdo it. The first few weeks after the surgery I was instructed tow wear the a sling even though after a couple of weeks things started feeling fine. He also set me up with some basic exercises to do wit a pulley and rope gizmo which I followed to a tee, then later some more strenuous physical therapy which I did religiously. I played golf later in the summer that year but got the okay from my doc first but did not ski. Again do not overdo it and push yourself even though you might feel great. Two years after the fact I am close to new as a 61 year old can be. Good luck
Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
These ice machines are great for the first 2-4 weeks you should be able to rent one.
http://www.gameready.com/
I will be inquiring about one of these for sure! Thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
I had a complete tear and a bone spur. I had the orthopedic doctor for the Carolina Hurricanes do my surgery. I was restricted to a immobilizer sling for 6 weeks and a loose sling for 6 more. Slept in a recliner for 5 or 6 weeks. Mine was quite painful. Pt was not as bad as i expected. Used the ice machine as prescribed, which i think really helped. Do the pt as they say and don't do anything extra. Had my surgery in May and skied by the end of the season in September. Didn't feel right then so i limited my skiing till spring. I had over 95 percent range of motion by the end of PT and 0 pain. That was almost 3 years ago now.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 11-19-2014, 07:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I had a complete tear and a bone spur. I had the orthopedic doctor for the Carolina Hurricanes do my surgery. I was restricted to a immobilizer sling for 6 weeks and a loose sling for 6 more. Slept in a recliner for 5 or 6 weeks. Mine was quite painful. Pt was not as bad as i expected. Used the ice machine as prescribed, which i think really helped. Do the pt as they say and don't do anything extra. Had my surgery in May and skied by the end of the season in September. Didn't feel right then so i limited my skiing till spring. I had over 95 percent range of motion by the end of PT and 0 pain. That was almost 3 years ago now.
Sounds promising. I am most concerned in getting out of the sling as soon as possible and looking like I am normal. Just for works sake.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

I appreciate all of the quick replies. I have a message out to a PT guy I am acquainted with to see if he has one of the ice machines that I could rent or borrow on the down low.

Thanks again.