Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-06-2005, 11:45 AM
brezan

Fuel level sender replacement

I'm looking to replace fuel level sender. Overton's indicated that Tempo sender would be suitable for 1995 PS 190. I cannot find information regarding which wire (red or black) is ground in order to properly connect Tempo sender. I'd appreciate any feedback in clarifying nature of red and black wires.

Thank you -- Brent
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 190 LQ9
Red is usually hot, black is ground. If you hook it up backwards the guage will stay pegged, No big deal.Just switch it. Its Not rocket science,And your only dealing with 12 volts. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:41 PM
brezan

Thanks for the information.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:09 PM
MC Master Poster

The hot for most fuel senders is pink. The first senders with no float had 3 wires, but the boat had the same wiring as before.

The sender may have a + at the positive post. It's 12V, but in this application it's low current. Not so at the battery and starter. I think most people have at least one wrench that has some welding marks cue to being shorted to ground.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2004, MCX, Tournament Team Edition
Think about going solid state

I'm not familiar with the Overton's sender you mentioned, so you may be going this way anyway. When I got tired of the faulty fuel gage readings in my 1996 PS190 I replaced it with a newer, solid state version from my M/C dealer. The part cost about $100. The install was a direct drop-in replacement. Same holes, same plug, same everything. The new sender is a solid aluminum tube that "detects" the gas level and transmits it to the original gage. The sender has two adjustments in its top. One for full and one for empty. You can set them to the specifications of your own tank including the way your boat normallt sits in the water. Once installed and calibrated, there's no moving parts and it should last the life of the tank.

I didn't bother to calibrate mine. It seemed fairly close as it was. But calibrations is simple, empty tank, set to E. Fill tank completely, set other adjustment so gage reads F. Simple.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Re: the new style sender- if you already have gas in the tank, you can still set it for empty by filling a clean container with know good gas and lifting the sender out till it's at the point that you decide the indicator should read E. I always leave some gas in the tank so at the indicated E mark, there's still enough to get back to the dock. Just don't use it as a way to stretch the tank.

Also, water and other impurities will affect the accuracy of this type of sender. Keep the gas clean.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:23 PM
TT Regular

And the best way to keep gas clean . . .

is to burn it, 6 balls at a time!
Old 02-06-2005, 06:29 PM
TT Regular

Jim's idea

Jim has a good idea. However, you need to know how far up from the bottom of your tank the bottom of the sender is located. It will probably not touch the bottom of the tank. In that case, Jim's "reserve" will already be built into your setting for empty.

Kepp in mind, too, that the way your boat sits in the water will affest the level of gas in the tank. If you usually run with three or four people, fat sac, extra skis, etc, set your boat up that way when you calibrate for empty.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:41 PM
MC Master Poster

The reserve may be built in, but depending on which replacement sender you get, the length may not be correct since there are at least 3 that are boat specific and 1 that's called universal since it's longer than the depth of any tank in a MC. This one needs to be cut to length and adjusted. If that's the only one the dealer stocks, it eliminates the chance of the one you need "being out of stock" on a busy weekend when you just have to have one to be able to get out on the water.That's the reason I stocked the universal and only one or two of the boat specific ones. I prefer getting people out on the water to telling them "I sold the last one two hours ago".