Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-05-2005, 01:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 04, X10, 350MCX
Oil Consumption

I have an 04 X10 with the MCX powerplant. The owners manual says oil comsumption can be high for the first 50 hours. I've changed my oil at 20 and 50 hours. I am now at around 80 hours and over the short life of my motor I have had to put in about 3 quarts of oil to keep it full. I am using the manufacture reccomended 15-40 oil and performing the checks in the water with the motor hot. No signs of leaks,smell or white smoke. Consumption seams to be decreasing slowly but 3 quarts seems like alot of oil to have to add in 80 hours. The dealer says that its a high performance motor and as long as it is decreasing it is normal and should be ok. Should I be concerned? How much should be considered excessive during the new break in period?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim
Old 02-05-2005, 04:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 190 LQ9
oil consumption

Jim, I rebuild motor's for a living. Every engine is its own animal. Some take longer for the rings to get a good seat on the cylinder walls.I would not get excited just yet. Does this still have warranty.If so don't sweat it.They make new ones every day.Have a cold one and relax.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Still,3 quarts in 30 hours seems high...
Old 02-05-2005, 05:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 04, X10, 350MCX
Jason,
Thanks for the Info. Yes, it has a 3 year warranty.

Jim
Old 02-05-2005, 05:58 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by André
Still,3 quarts in 30 hours seems high...
3 quarts for 80 hours....

I think

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-05-2005, 07:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Ooops!
I taught it was 3 quarts after his 50 hours oil change...
Old 02-05-2005, 08:45 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by André
Ooops!
I taught it was 3 quarts after his 50 hours oil change...
I had to go back a couple times to confirm.....lol

oh yeah, avatar looks good

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-05-2005, 09:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Prostar 190 LQ9
oil consumption

3 quarts to 50 hrs is usually just a rough guide. IF you are really concerened you could pull spark plugs and compare them. If you have a hole that's not firing correctly you should be able to isolate it. You could also pull an oil sample and have it anilized for wear. Most of the major oil companies do offer this. Better yet you could run a compression check. Most auto parts stores offer an inexpensive test kit. If you have a broken oil control ring you should be able to find it.I have worked on ,too many to count small v-8 engines with alot worse oil consumption than that. I am a field tech. for caterpillar. and most of the engines I work on are 10 x's the size. But all engines work under the same basic principles.Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Jim;
Make sure your oil consumption issue is documented with your dealer. This provides back-up information should the problem not get better. I would somewhat agree that 3 qts in 80 hrs seems excessive, but (as jjsosnowski said) some engines take longer to seat rings.
I have delt with this issue in the past, and I also agree with the dealer as long as it is subsiding, wait and see where it ends up. I would actually watch it all the way to 150 hrs. before I would request action from the dealer.
Keep record of your fuel consumption also. This will allow them to calculate the load on the engine. Oil consumption is based on lbs/fuel consumed.
Bottom line is keep an eye on it and keep good records. This will provide you with good documentation that will be hard to dispute.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2005, MCX 350,
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB
Jim;
Make sure your oil consumption issue is documented with your dealer. This provides back-up information should the problem not get better. I would somewhat agree that 3 qts in 80 hrs seems excessive, but (as jjsosnowski said) some engines take longer to seat rings.
I have delt with this issue in the past, and I also agree with the dealer as long as it is subsiding, wait and see where it ends up. I would actually watch it all the way to 150 hrs. before I would request action from the dealer.
Keep record of your fuel consumption also. This will allow them to calculate the load on the engine. Oil consumption is based on lbs/fuel consumed.
Bottom line is keep an eye on it and keep good records. This will provide you with good documentation that will be hard to dispute.
I own an X-45 with a MCX 350 and have added three quarts in 21 hours. The first two was within the first 10 hour period and the third was at 21 hours. I hope this is normal.