Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Pro 197
boat lift motor

I have a shorestation 4000lb cable lift and want to hook up 12 volt power to it (boat lift motor). this cranking is getting old! Wanted to know if anyone had one for sale or any ideas.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
PM at you......

19 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by baedriver
I have a shorestation 4000lb cable lift and want to hook up 12 volt power to it (boat lift motor). this cranking is getting old! Wanted to know if anyone had one for sale or any ideas.
In many respects, it's a price/performance thing. The most commonly used OEM lift motor is the Shore Commander. They're well-made with great customer support and easily retro-fittable to your Shore Station (here is the Shore Station install manual for the Shore Commander). You could also retrofit a Shore Station brand direct drive lift motor - it's a nice unit (made by Commander Products, that makes the Shore Commander). Or, look at the SSDC2 12v motor that Shore Station sells.

Another cheaper but less elegant solution is a Lift Mate. I had one on my boat lift for many years, on an old Shore Station steel cantilever and then my Pier Pleasure. It's simple to install. Not exactly elegant, but it's cheap and it works great. I always ran the thing off of my boat battery. Overtons sell them for $570.

The Lift Mate was actually invented by a guy from here who was a friend of mine. He did most of his early prototyping on my boat (Bayliner, at that time) and my steel cantilever Shore Station, using it to check 12 volt current draw and effect on the boat battery. Then, last year when I ditched the Lift Mate for the Shore Commander so I could use 120 volts, I found out while making a call to their customer service that Commander Enterprises LLC is right here in my little town, in fact right across the lake from me, and it's owned by a guy I used to ride to Sturgis with every year, managed by his son-in-law and daughter.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
I just bought a comander lift motor new on ebay for $450. It is custom made for the shore station and is extremely well engineered. excellent instructions and takes 30 mins to install max. Go on ebay and search on boat lifts and it should come up. It is key operated and runs off AC shore power. My neighbor has since purchased one. I forget the name of the dealer but he was very helpful and responsive.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflcjl
I just bought a comander lift motor new on ebay for $450. It is custom made for the shore station and is extremely well engineered. excellent instructions and takes 30 mins to install max. Go on ebay and search on boat lifts and it should come up. It is key operated and runs off AC shore power. My neighbor has since purchased one. I forget the name of the dealer but he was very helpful and responsive.
That's a heck of a deal! Local dock places around here sell that unit for about $1000.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigmac; 05-23-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
i second the shore commander, between all our ski buddies we have about 5 of these installed on lifts, works great and easy to install yourself...i've got a hewitt cantilever, cool remotes too!!!

http://www.commanderproductsllc.com/
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 AM
MC Platinum

Their "factory" is about 2 blocks from my office. It's a pretty cool operation, kind of a family-run organization. Donny is really a bright guy, and they are very serious about quality and customer service. I drive right by them every day on the way to work, but never knew it was lift motors they were making. I wish I'd known that before I dropped 8 bills with my dock store on that unit. It's always possible to barter a vasectomy or something.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
It's always possible to barter a vasectomy or something.
Ouch
Old 05-28-2007, 06:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
Here is the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comma...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190
Bump! How are all your Shore Commanders working these days? We've had one for many years and now it's giving us issues. For a while it would chatter when we used the remote to go up and down, then it would work sporadically, now nothing. Got a new antenna as that is the "motherboard" and even the keypad won't work if the antenna doesn't. That didn't solve the problem, worked once then stopped working. Waiting for another call from Steve, customer service. Today we used the key to the drill to raise the lift and after we did that for a while, it worked for a bit. Maybe brushes in the motor are bad? Trying to troubleshoot here and wondering if anyone else went through this with theirs. In the past we've had to increase the torque on it, also. I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not. The lift stays in the water all year long, we cover the motor with tarps, etc. for the winter.