Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 02-03-2005, 12:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Carpet Installation

Has anyone replaced the carpeting in there boat without taking the boat apart? For me to have my dealer redo the carpeting (the right way) would cost me $2000 and I'd rather not spend that much. I really only want to replace the carpetting that is visible to anyone getting into the boat. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoB190
Has anyone replaced the carpeting in there boat without taking the boat apart? For me to have my dealer redo the carpeting (the right way) would cost me $2000 and I'd rather not spend that much. I really only want to replace the carpetting that is visible to anyone getting into the boat. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Remove the seats, engine cover and side panels.
I replaced all the carpet with the exception of the carpet under the bow that was in good shape and you cant see anyway.

If your side panels cover the transition from the floor to the side walls you may want to cut the carpet there and save the side walls (gunnels?).
Cost me $200 for upolestry shop to do my boat I already gutted.
You can gut the boat in an hour or 2.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoB190
I got an estimate from a boat upholstry shop to take out my old carpet and install new for $350. They are going to charge me $60 an hour to take off my old skins and put on the new MC skins I bought. I'm still shopping. I would agree with getting skins from MC to keep it org. but with carpet... get a high grade marine carpet.. get the color to match and you are good to go. What year boat? I am redoing my 86. Good Luck
Old 02-04-2005, 12:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Thanks guys for your advice. Those prices are worlds better that the $2000 I was quoted to have the whole job done on my '94 Prostar 190. Where did you guys purchase your carpet and what did it cost? Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
MC Addict

I got mine thru the upholstery shop, $200 was carpet and install.

There are a number of other sources, one local carpet shop had the marine grade also. The there is Overtons and the other mail order houses.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Lowes has olefin marine carpet. I use this on my trailer bunks. It's a bit softer than the 12 year old carpet in the boat. THe boat carpet has held up so well that I'm not replacing it until it's obvious that I need to do so.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslot82
I got mine thru the upholstery shop, $200 was carpet and install.

There are a number of other sources, one local carpet shop had the marine grade also. The there is Overtons and the other mail order houses.
Did you run all the way up under the bow? Good price. I got a quote for $350 (Carpet and Install). Still shopping.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wortham
Did you run all the way up under the bow? Good price. I got a quote for $350 (Carpet and Install). Still shopping.
The carpet under the bow was like new. I kept the old where it is out of normal sight. I believe it was just beyond the foot rest.
Besides it would be real tough gluing the new to the sides under the bow. I think the fumes could kill you under there.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Send a message via AIM to aprgriggs Send a message via Yahoo to aprgriggs
Can you put in snap out carpet in a boat that already has carpet?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

I would think you could. However, I'm not sure if would be any problem with moisture being captured. Anyone tried this?