Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 02-03-2005, 09:10 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Time for a new stick

Right now I have a mid 70's Obrien World Team, that the girls use and I ski on a early 80's MasterCraft Superstar. Since I liked the feel of the MasterCraft, I have stuck with it for many years. The binding ripped on my last time out. Maybe it is time for me to upgrade.

Anyway, I am looking for some input into my next ski. 50% of my skiing is in the course and on a good day I can run it at 15 off at 32mph. I prefer a rear toe plate, but may be willing to try something different. Cost is a factor, hoping to not go over the $400 mark. I weight about 160.

I also have a few wooden Maherajah’s that I have either restored or are in the process of restoring, I consider them a collectors items and just use them occasionally when I feel like going old school. I tried one of them in the course and was surprised how well it felt and did. But then again, look what I am comparing it to. Have you seen that these are selling new now for over $1200? Maybe my collection may actually increasing in value…… probably not, they just look cool in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Go to Wiley's and pick up a CDX. It is close to your price range bland. With some wileys binders, you will pay a bit over $400 though. Very stable ski, but plenty of speed for course skiing. It hasn't been made in a couple of years, yet Wileys continues to convince HO to make limited runs for them. I've been very happy with mine.

I've got a Maherajah Giant Slalom Longboard for those not so glassy days. Beautiful ski that I'll be keeping. Nothing like cruising at 44 mph on a 150' line.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
All I can say is try to test them before you buy. I’m going to try to work out a deal to test a handful of different skis this spring. Let me know if you want to come along for some of the tests..

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP
All I can say is try to test them before you buy. I’m going to try to work out a deal to test a handful of different skis this spring. Let me know if you want to come along for some of the tests..

Sounds good, where are you going to go around this area?

I was hoping to sneak one in when I get my tax return. If I wait to long, my wife will find another way to spend the $$, probobly on something silly like food or clothes for the kids.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I second buying from Wiley's they have some really good deals and I love their binders. You might also consider the KD7000. It should be in your price range as well. It is a great ski in the course yet very stable. Talk to the guys at Wiley's they have great knowledge and may give you some other ideas. One thing is for sure. Going to any of the new skis is going to be night and day from those fiberglass skis you are used to skiing. I'am sure that if they even have a small amout of yearly use they are probably pretty worn out.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
My buddy just got a new Kidder Redline with double comp plates for just under $300. It's a great ski.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Wileys! Wileys! Wileys!

One of the guys there, maybe Skip? Is a trip, he'll recommend a good ski for you based on the type of skiing you do and you'll get a great deal.

I bought a Mach 1 with Wiley's high wrap boot and RTP for about $240.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:56 AM
MC Addict

I started working the guy at ski LTD this past summer. That’s about an hr away in Ohio. I think the other two guys in my crew are about ready for new sticks too. As it is, they, (ski LTD) have a fairly good policy in place. If you buy a ski and you find its not the right ski, they will exchange it for a different ski.

I got the impression last summer he would go for the demo thing and that was with just one ski. So I think for the chance to sell three, its on..

Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 PM
MC Addict

Wileys does have great deals..http://www.wileyski.com/

Old 02-03-2005, 12:19 PM
MC Addict

Thanks Mark, Sounds good.

I know Ski Ltd well. I am not sure if I ever drove thru Boardman without the detour onto South Ave to stop in and check things out over there. I bought my current ski from Vic when he was just statring the business and working out of his garage.