Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-03-2005, 02:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 - LT1
Wax question for Thrall

Thrall,

Your posts on polishing have been really helpful. It's supposed to hit 70 degrees here tomorrow, so I'm going to get to work on my boat.

One question though - is there any reason to use the 3M Marine Finesse-It II at $24 a bottle at West Marine or can I use the automotive 3M Finesse-It II at $10 a bottle at the auto parts place? Do you know if there's any difference in the products?

Incidentally - I picked up 3M Ultra Marine Wax at West Marine for $25 a can and then saw the exact same stuff at Walmart for $9 a can.

Thanks very much,

Kyle
Old 02-03-2005, 03:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
I'm not Thrall, but I've been using the automotive product for years and it's great. What part of northern California are you from? Do you think you'll attend the reunion on the delta this year?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I haven't used the marine 3M products. As tph said, the automotive stuff works fine on gel coat. I think the "marine" on the label is just marketing.
FWIW, I've not found any other products (Meguiars, etc) to work as well as 3M, except for a product called "Liquid Ebony". I haven't used it on gel coats, but have on enamel base/clear coat systems. This stuff is amazing. It'll take out minor scratches like a med cut compound and polish to a good shine all in one. It works really well to remove swirl marks in dark colors. I haven't seen the stuff in years, though.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured as much. I can't believe how much the word "Marine" adds to the price.

I'm working on my new (to me) boat this week. It's in pretty good shape, but there are some swirls and scratches on the deck. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

KWP
Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

TPH,

I'm up on Lake Shasta. I'm a new Mastercraft owner, so I'm unaware of the reunions. How can I find out more? I love the Delta - used to ski there all the time when I lived in the south bay.

What are the reunions like?

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 02-04-2005, 12:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickett
TPH,

I'm up on Lake Shasta. I'm a new Mastercraft owner, so I'm unaware of the reunions. How can I find out more? I love the Delta - used to ski there all the time when I lived in the south bay.

What are the reunions like?

Thanks,
Kyle
The west coast reunions have been going on since 1988. They used to be held at amusement parks like Marine World or Great America. In 2003 they had the first one on the delta at the Orwood resort. It featured a boat judging, poker run, scavanger hunt, prize drawing, BBQ, etc. It was great to actually use the boat after all those years of just trailering it. The 2004 reunion was planned for the same site but was cancelled at the last minute. They are supposed to have another one in the spring or summer of this year. Check the MC site under event registration. They should eventually announce a date. It would be a bit of a drive for you, but Orwood has a campground. Maybe we'll meet this year.