Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
GMC Acadia

Anyone have one? Anyone towing with one?

The V6 should do just fine for me towing in flat OH with a tow rating up to 5k. It's new to my list of vehicles to shop once the move is done.

I test drove one a few weeks ago and wasn't disapointed, but wasn't riveted. A 5.3 would be much better - but no V8s are planned until the 08 or 09 Denali version.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ryan; 05-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
MC Maniac

And while the 2nd row seats are pretty clever in their design, I wonder how well they'll hold up.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
TT Regular

My wife has over 2,000 miles on hers now and loves it. We have no complaints so far. I am very hesitant to buy a first model year, but made the buy anyway.

Just make sure you order one with the tow package. It comes with a transmission cooler and tow/haul button. The dealer will put a hitch on for you, but it will not have the button to push for towing. I think it really saves a transmission on smaller vehicles.

We are not using this vehicle to tow, but I would not hesitate to tow short distances with it. I would not tow anything more than a small prostar 197/209 for a long time. That is just my opinion. I do not like to max out a vehicle's tow ratings.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1978 19 Skier (Stars & Stripes) 351 Windsor Ford
Good to know someone else is considering one. My wife and I want one to pull our boat (very light - 78 stars and stripes) and for her to drive around town for work.

We loved the Saturn Outlook we drove, but are also considering the Acadia and maybe the Buick Enclave - although the Enclave looks like it would have some rear visibility problems.

Glad to have your advice as to the towing package instead of the dealer-installed hitch. having the transmission cooler and the stuff integrated from the factory does sound like a good idea on a vehicle such as this one.

I'm interested to hear from others that have one, or similar. I guess we're also considering a Ford Explorer or a Toyota 4Runner.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:23 AM
MC Maniac

I usually like to have double the tow capicity in my tow vehicle. However, saving on mpg will help a lot this summer. dwvktm450, what kind of real world mileage are you seeing? I know this is vehicle is quite heavy which may leave that V6 working hard. I currently have a 4Runner with a sweet V8 and great tranny and get 15.2 mpg.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I usually like to have double the tow capicity in my tow vehicle. However, saving on mpg will help a lot this summer. dwvktm450, what kind of real world mileage are you seeing? I know this is vehicle is quite heavy which may leave that V6 working hard. I currently have a 4Runner with a sweet V8 and great tranny and get 15.2 mpg.
Ryan,
We have an 02 GMC Envoy, which is the exact same vehicle, just a different name. It pulls the boat very well, (heavy boat 86 tristar 220) I'm not going to say you can't tell it is back there, but it does the job. It has given us very good service. I have 87k on it right now. No complaints.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
I have to ask something because I haven't looked at them yet. Does anyone know if it has those headlights that turn when the vehicle does? In the picture it appears they may.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte72
Ryan,
We have an 02 GMC Envoy, which is the exact same vehicle, just a different name. It pulls the boat very well, (heavy boat 86 tristar 220) I'm not going to say you can't tell it is back there, but it does the job. It has given us very good service. I have 87k on it right now. No complaints.
It's actually a whole new vehicle. Well sort of, it's on the shared Lambda platform. Yours is rear drive with a 4.3 - 4spd, the Acadia is the size of a Yukon, shorter, with a 3.6 V6 - 6 spd front wheel drive. Unfortunately the Acadia is down by about 20 in HP and Torque compared to the Envoy. The 6 speed tranny helped it seem about equal from my seat of the pants driving though. However, I felt like the Acadia wanted to gear hunt just a little around the 35-40mph range.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
I've driven the 7 speed autos, and they seem to get "confused" in that range as well. Hey, what can we expect, its the future.....
Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
I've driven the 7 speed autos, and they seem to get "confused" in that range as well. Hey, what can we expect, its the future.....

True, true. I just wonder how much it would gear hunt when towing - I need to find a dealer that will let me do a 24 hr test drive.