Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 01-31-2005, 04:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
Painting Trailer

I am going to repaint my trailer. will automotive work on the metal and the fiberglass fenders?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:09 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Krylon or Rustoleum over primer worked great on the frame for me. Not sure about the fenders though as mine didn't need any paint.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

does it come in like a quart or half gallon, where do you get it from and how much
Old 01-31-2005, 04:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Don't paint fiberglass fenders, if they have faded use rubbing compound to bring back they're shine. You could have a fiberglass shop shoot another layer of gel coat on them but this could get expensive.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
MC Hero

Mine came in cans with little metal balls in them and a spray nozzle on the top.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

i am wanting to paint the trailer a different color, the fiber glass is off white and i am going to paint it black. will the fiberglass react weird to the paint.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

How many cans of Spray Paint did it take to do the whole thing? Does the spray paint work and look good?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Leroy

It's been many years since I painted a car, but I don't know of any reason why automotive paint wouldn't work and the color select is infinite. Seems like a Jeremy question! For any painting you need good preparation, clear out all rust, feather the paint, etc, good primer, good paint, plus a dust free area to do this or you will be familiar with mosquito hatches, pollens, and all sorts of airborn particles. My advise for the whole trailer if you don't already have the equipment is to just have a body shop do it, it's real easy to look like your first job!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:20 PM
MC Hero

I was touching up a number of different areas as well as the entire prop guard. Unless I'm really close (less than a foot away), I'd be hard-pressed to tell what was factory and what was touch up. It was white paint so it looks about as good as I expected it to look. I probably went through 3 or 4 cans.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 01-31-2005, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
The primer is as important as the paint itself.Are you sandblasting the trailer?
Are you starting from bare steel?